Army of The Potomac
The complete Orders of Battle for troops of the Army of the Potomac commanded by Brigadier General P G T Beauregard.
Brigadier General P G T Beauregard commanding the Army of the Potomac on 21 July, 1861
The Armies of the Potomac and the Shenandoah were united at Manassas, Bull Run, on 21 July 1861, and General J E Johnston was appointed as overall commander. However, General J E Johnston had less knowledge of the ground and dispositions so field command of the troops was deferred to Brigadier General P G T Beauregard.
On 24 April, 1861, the Department of Alexandria was establised embracing Alexandria, Virginia and the troops in the vicinity, under the command of Brigadier General P St. G Cocke, Virginia State militia. On 21 May, 1861, Brigadier General M L Bonham proceeded to Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, and assumed command. On 31 May, 1861, the department was renamed the Department of the Potomac and Brigadier General P G T Beauregard assumed command at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, on 2 June, 1861. The Department of the Potomac was extended to include Prince William County, Fairfax County and Loudoun County.
The Army of the Potomac was organised on 20 June, 1861, with eight brigades and the Seventh Brigade, under the command of Colonel N G Evans, was attached to the Fifth Brigade, under the command of Colonel P St G Cocke (See the Seventh (Demi) Brigade, Army of the Potomac).
Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry
Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry, under the command of Acting Major F B Schaeffer, was organised on 6 July, 1861, when Special Order No. 94, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, ordered the New Market Guards and the Crescent Blues, Company B, to be temporarily detached from the garrison at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, and to report to Captain F B Shaeffer at the Stone bridge, Virginia, commanding the Beauregard Rifles. (See Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry).
Reserves ordered to Manassas Junction
The following troops arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, between 21 and 25 July, 1861, too late to participate in the first battle of Manassas, and were subsequently assigned to the reorganised Army of the Potomac.
The 13th North Carolina Infantry, Companies A, B, E, F, G, I, and K, under the command of Colonel J F Hoke, arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, during the night on 21 July, 1861 (See the 13th North Carolina Infantry); the 6th South Carolina Infantry and 9th South Carolina Infantry arrived in the evening on 21 July, 1861; the 1st Texas Battalion Infantry Companies A to H, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel L T Wigfall, arrived in the morning of 22 July, 1861 (See the 1st Texas Battalion Infantry); the 9th Louisiana Infantry arrived in the evening on 21 July, 1861 (See the 9th Louisiana Infantry); the Sumter Flying Artillery was arrived on 22 July, 1861 (See the Sumter Flying Artillery); the 1st Mississippi Battalion Infantry, Companies A to G arrived in the evening on 22 July, 1861 (See the 1st Mississippi Battalion Infantry); the 12th Mississippi Infantry with five companies arrived in the morning on 22 July, 1861 (See the 12th Mississippi Infantry); and 12th Alabama Infantry arrived after 21 July, 1861 (See the 12th Alabama Infantry).
The Army of Northern Virginia
On 25 September, 1861, the Army of the Potomac was known as the First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General P G T Beauregard, and the Army of the Shenandoah was officially known as the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Major General G W Smith. On 22 October, 1861, the Army of the Potomac was officially ended with the organisation of the Department of Northern Virginia, which comprised the Aquia District, the Potomac District and the Valley District and was renamed the Army of Northern Virginia, under the command of General J E Johnston, on 14 March, 1862.
If you have information regarding brigade or company assignments and/or organisation please contact Jonathan Soffe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orders of Battle
The above painting, 'The Fourth Alabama', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historial artist.