The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Third Brigade, First Division

Private S Booth, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company C

Private S Booth, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company C

Second Wisconsin Infantry

Mustered in United States service for three years 11 June, 1861. Arrived at Washington, D. C., 25 June, 1861

COLONEL S P COON
Colonel S P Coon, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, was assigned as a volunteer aide to Colonel W T Sherman, Third Brigade, McDowell's Army, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861, and resigned on 30 July, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL H W PECK
H W Peck was appointed lieutenant colonel, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, on 29 April, 1861, was assigned to command the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel H W Peck resigned on 29 July, 1861.

MAJOR D MCDONALD
D McDonald was appointed major, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, on 9 May, 1861.

Company A Citizen's Guards: CAPT. G H STEVENS
The company was accepted in state service at Fox Lake, Dodge County, Wisconsin, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 1 PM on 4 May, 1861.
Company B La Crosse Light Guards: CAPT. W COLWELL
The company was accepted in state service at La Crosse, La Crosse County, Wisconsin, on 18 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 6 PM on 1 May, 1861.
Company C Grant County Greys or Volunteers, No.1: CAPT. D MCKEE
The company was accepted in state service at Boscobel, Grant County, Wisconsin, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 2 PM on 6 May, 1861.
Company D Janesville Volunteers: CAPT. G B ELY
The company was accepted in state service at Janesville, Rock County, Wisconsin, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 4 PM on 6 May, 1861.
Company E Oshkosh Volunteers: CAPT. G BOUCK
The company was accepted in state service at Oshkosh, Winnebago County, Wisconsin, on 23 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 6 PM on 4 May, 1861.
Company F Belle City Rifles: CAPT. W E STRONG
The company was accepted in state service at Racine, Racine County, Wisconsin, on 24 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 4.30 AM on 3 May, 1861.
Company G Portage Light Guards: CAPT. J MANSFIELD
The company was accepted in state service at Portage, Columbia County, Wisconsin, on 25 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 6 PM on 1 May, 1861.
Company H Randall Guards: CAPT. J F RANDOLPH
The company was accepted in state service at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, on 26 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the morning on 6 May, 1861.
Company I Miner's Guards: CAPT. T S ALLEN
The company was accepted in state service at Mineral Point, Iowa County, Wisconsin, on 27 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 10 PM on 6 May, 1861. Thirty men of the company, under the command of First Lieutenant T Bishop, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company I, were assigned as support to a section of the 1st United States Artillery, Company G, during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861 (See the 1st United States Artillery, Company G).
Company K (1st) Wisconsin Rifles: CAPT. A J LANGWORTHY
The company was accepted in state service at Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, on 30 April, 1861, and arrived at Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the afternoon on 23 May, 1861. The company was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on July 25, 1861, and was reorganised as the 1st Wisconsin Heavy Artillery, Company A, by Special Orders No.172, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Washington, D. C., on 7 December, 1861.
Company K (2nd): CAPT. J STAHEL
The company was accepted in state service at Mazomanie, Dane County, Wisconsin, on 16 November, 1861.
Band: Band Master H S Chandler
The band was accepted in state service on 6 June, 1861.

Sources

"The La Crosse Light Guards and the Portage Light Guard, are announced to arrive in this city today. The former will arrive by the cars from the East, at half past 4 o'clock this afternoon, but it was not known at 11 o'clock this morning, when and by what route the Portage Light Guard would arrive. Since writing the above we learn that it is probable that the companies will not arrive till 6 o'clock, and they will be landed within a stone's throw of Camp Randall, where a good warm dinner will be awaiting them."

The Wisconsin Daily Patriot, 1 May, 1861 - To arrive

"The La Crosse and Portage Light Guard arrived in this city last evening and marched to Camp Scott, where they has supper. The La Crosse Light guard slept at the camp, but the Portage Light Guard marched up to the Capitol House, where they slept."

The Wisconsin Daily Patriot, 1 May, 1861 - Arrival of companies

"The Beloit Volunteer Rifles arrived at Camp Randall yesterday afternoon, but the Racine Belle City Rifles did not reach here until 4 o'clock this morning. They are fine looking companies."

The Wisconsin Daily Patriot, 3 May, 1861 - Arrived

"The Madison Journal of the 3d reports the arrival of the Beloit Volunteer Rifles, and the Belle City Rifles, at Camp Randall."

The Milwaukee Sentinel, 4 May, 1861

"The Randall Guards received orders this morning to go into camp this afternoon. One of the Companies that arrive here today will probably sleep at the Capital House."

The Wisconsin Daily Patriot, 4 May, 1861 - Into camp

"The Madison Journal of Thursday evening notices the arrival at Camp Randall of the first two companies of the second regiment, viz: the La Crosse Light Guard, Capt. Colwell, and the Portage Light Guard, Capt. John Mansfield."

The Milwaukee Sentinel, 6 May, 1861

"Company No.1, Grant County Volunteers, Capt. D. McKee, arrived at Camp Randall early yesterday afternoon. The Janesville Volunteers, Capt. G. B. Ely, got there at 6 o'clock in the evening, and the Miner's Guard, Capt. T. S. Allen, got to the Capital House a little after 10 P. M., where they slept."

The Wisconsin Daily Patriot, 7 May, 1861 - Arrival of companies

"The Randall Guards, Capt. Randolph, went into camp yesterday morning."

The Janesville Daily Gazette, 8 May, 1861 - Gone into camp

"The Citizen's Guard of Fox Lake having been ordered to rendezvous at Camp Randall, on 4 May, Friday, the 3rd, was a busy day with the citizen's generally preparing to pay their parting respects and honors to the company."

The Milwaukee Sentinel, 8 May, 1861 - Departure of the Fox lake Citizen's Guard for Camp Randall

"The Miner's Guard left this city for headquarters at Madison, on Monday morning. They left the Armory at 7 1/2 o 'clock, and marched through the city to the square west of the Episcopal Church, where teams were in readiness to convey them to Arena. At half past eight, amid enthusiastic cheers of the hundreds gathered to witness the departure, the company left, in fine spirits and with a firm determination to do their whole duty in the cause of their country."

The Wisconsin Daily Patriot, 9 May, 1861 - Departure of volunteers

"On the evidence of Gen. King and Col. Coon, the company did not appear to take the oath today. The company has been promised a place in the 3d or 4th regiment, if it vacates this, and its members express themselves as bound to fill up their ranks and enlist for the war."

The Janesville Daily Gazette, 17 May, 1861 - Enlistment for the war

"The Wisconsin Rifles, Capt. A. J. Langworthy, leave for Camp Randall, Madison, today."

The Daily Milwuakee News, 23 May, 1861 - Wisconsin Rifles leave today

"Several regiments passed into Virginia over the Long Bridge yesterday and the day before, among them, the fourteenth New York, the second Maine, and the second Wisconsin regiments."

The National Republican, 3 July, 1861 - Movement of troops into Virginia

"The second Wisconsin volunteers, Colonel Cook, broke camp yesterday afternoon, and, after passing in review before the President, proceeded over the river."

The National Republican, 3 July, 1861 - Over the river

"The following regiments compose Col. Sherman's command - Sixty-ninth New York militia, Col. Corcoran; Thirteenth New York volunteers, Col. Quinby; Twenty-eighth New York militia, Col. Bennett; Company B, Second United States cavalry, Lieut. Tompkins; Second Wisconsin volunteers (just attached), Col. Coon."

"The Second Wisconsin regiment, of this brigade, numbers 1,050 men, rank and file, and is ably commanded by its popular colonel, who served with distinction in Mexico. They occupy, with the Thirteenth New York, an advanced position near Ball's Cross Roads."

The New York Herald, 10 July, 1861 - Camp Lincoln, N.E. Va., 4 July, 1861

"At this date, three days after the celebrated battle of Bull Run, company K of the regiment, under command of Captain Langworthy, was detached to form part of the garrison of Fort Corcoran, on the heights near Washington. They remained in this post until 28th of August, when they moved to Fort Marcy, near the chain bridge, and occupied the fort as garrison. Thence one-half of the company was ordered on the 12th September, to the performance of garrison duty in Fort Ethan Allen, and also to instruct a regiment of infantry, then stationed there, in heavy artillery drill."

"Meanwhile the General Government had decided to accept no more troops for this short period of service, and accordingly on the 16th May, the regiment was called upon to re-enlist "for three years or during the war". The men complied enthusiastically, with the exception of one company, which was immediately disbanded, its place in the regiment being supplied by the "Wisconsin Rifles," of Milwaukee, under command of Captain A. J. Langworthy."

Adjutant General of the State of Wisconsin with reports from the Quartermaster General and Surgeon General, for the year ending 30th December , 1865

"We took two of the rebels prisoners. Their uniform is something like ours only the stripe is yellow instead of black."

Wisconsin Historical Society: Letter from Private Eskew, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 20 July, 1861

"Fort Corcoran and associated defenses were built in May 1861 to command the approaches to the Aqueduct Bridge. A bastioned earthwork, this fort was garrisoned by the 13th New York Infantry, and had a perimetere of 576 yards plus emplacements for 10 guns, which were initially manned by Co. K, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry. Linked with this were the outworks called forts Bennett and Haggerty. The former fort had a perimeter of 146 yards and emplacements for five guns, and was designed to bring under fire the slope northwest of Fort Corcoran. The latter possessed a perimeter of 128 yards with emplacements for four guns, and was built to protect the slope south of Fort Corcoran."

American Civil War fortifications No.2: Land and field fortifications, by Ron Field and illustrated by Peter Dennis

"Then, fully equipped by the state except for arms, and clad in our new uniforms of plain grey, the Second filed aboard railroad cars for the trip to Washington, by way of Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore."

The Iron Brigade: A military history, by Alan T. Nolan

The military history of Wisconsin: A record of the civil and military, by Edwin Bentley Quiner

Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Wisconsin with reports from the quartermaster general and surgeon general, for the year ending 31 December, 1864

The Union Army: A history of military affairs in the loyal states 1861-65, records of the regiments in the Union Army, cyclopedia of battles, memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume 4, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, California, Oregon, The Teritories and district of Columbia

Notes

The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to rendezvous at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, on 1, 2, 4, and 6 May, 1861, and Companies A (47), B (48), C (63), D (71), E (62), F (74), G (37), H (60), and I (55), were mustered in state service at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 10 AM on 16 May, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was organised under the call for 42,034 troops to serve three years by President A Lincoln on 3 May, 1861, and the Fond du Lac Badgers and the Beloit Cadet Rifles or Volunteers were assigned to the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry on 23 April, 1861.

La Crosse, La Crosse County, & Portage, Columbia County, to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, Companies B & G, 1 May, 1861: The La Crosse Light Guards and the Portage Light Guards arrived by the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 6 PM on 1 May, 1861.

Note: The Portage Light Guards was stationed at Capitol House, on Wisconsin Avenue, between Miffin and Main Streets, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the evening on 1 May, 1861.

Beloit Cadet Rifles or Volunteers, 2 May, 1861: The Beloit Cadet or Volunteer Rifles was ordered to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the morning on 2 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, via Shopiere, Rock County, Wisconsin, in the afternoon on 2 May, 1861.

Note: Beloit Cadet Rifles or Volunteers, under the command of Captain S H Slaymaker, was not mustered in in state service at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the morning on 16 May, 1861, and was discharged on 17 May, 1861.

Racine, Racine County, to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, Company F, 3 May, 1861: The Belle City Rifles was ordered to proceed by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 2 PM on the 3 May, 1861, and arrived by the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, via Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, at 4.30 AM on 3 May, 1861.

Fox Lake, Dodge County, & Oshkosh, Winnebago County, to Wisconsin, Companies A & E, 4 May, 1861: The Citizen's Guards was ordered to proceed by the Fox Lake Railroad to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the morning on 4 May, 1861, and arrived at Minnesota Junction, Oak Grove, Dodge County, Wisconsin, the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 1 PM on 4 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Oshkosh Volunteers. The Citizen's Guards and the Oshkosh Volunteers arrived by Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad the at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, at 6 PM the same day.

Note: The Oshkosh Volunteers was stationed at Minnesota Junction, Oak Grove, Dodge County, Wisconsin, in the morning on 4 May, 1861.

Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, Company H, 6 May, 1861: The Randall Guards arrived at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the morning on 6 May, 1861.

Lancaster, Grant County, Wisconsin, to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, Company C, 6 May, 1861: The Grant County Greysor Volunteers, No.1, arrived by the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the afternoon on 6 May, 1861.

Note: The Grant County Greys was stationed at Capitol House, on Wisconsin Avenue, between Miffin and Main Streets, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the evening on 6 May, 1861.

Janesville, Rock County, Wisconsin, to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, Company D, 6 May, 1861: The Janesville Volunteers was ordered to proceed by the Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lac Railroad to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the afternoon on 6 May, 1861, and arrived by the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 2 PM the same day.

Mineral Point, Iowa County, to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, Company I, 6 May, 1861: The Miner's Guards was ordered to Arena, Iowa County, Wisconsin, at 8.30 AM on 6 May, 1861, and arrived by the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 10 PM the same day.

Note: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was mustered in state service at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 10 AM on 16 May, 1861, and Captain G H Stevens, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company A, was ordered to Fox Lake, Dodge County, Wisconsin, the same day. A detachment of seventeen recruits, under the command of Captain G H Stevens, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company A, arrived at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, on 22 May, 1861.

Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, Company K, 23 May, 1861: The Wisconsin Rifles was ordered to proceed by the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, on 23 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, in the afternoon the same day.

Mustered in three years, Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, 11 June, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was mustered in United States service for three years at Camp Randall, Wisconsin State Agricultural Society Fairground, on University Avenue, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, by Captain J B McIntyre, 1st United States Cavalry, Company E, on 11 June, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry).

Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, to Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, 20-21 June, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad to Washington, D. C., at 11.45 AM on 20 June, 1861, and arrived by the Northwestern Railroad at Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, via Milton and Janesville, Rock County, Wisconsin, at 6 PM the same day. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Michigan Southern & Northern Indiana Railroad to Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio, at 9.30 PM on 20 June, 1861, and arrived via La Porte, La Porte County, Indiana, at 12 AM on 21 June, 1861. The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Cleveland & Toledo Railroad to Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, at 9.30 AM on 21 June, 1861, and arrived at 3.30 PM the same day.

Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, to Washington, D. C., 21-25 June, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry (1,060) was ordered to proceed by the Pittsburgh & Cleveland Railroad to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 8.30 PM on 21 June, 1861, and arrived by the Pennsylvania Railroad at Harrisburg, Dauphin County, via Alliance, Stark County, Ohio, and Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, at 10 AM on 22 June, 1861. The regiment was ordered to proceed by the Northern Central Railroad to Baltimore City, Maryland, at 12 PM on 24 June, 1861, and arrived at Blton Station, at the intersection of Bolton and North Howard Streets, Baltimore City, Maryland, in the evening the same day. The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Washington, D. C., in the morning on 25 June, 1861, and arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, between 3 and 4 AM the same day.

W Woodward's building, on North D Street, corner of Eleventh Street & Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, & Picnic Grove, in the vicinity of Park Hotel, on Seventh Street, D. C., 25 June, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was stationed W Woodward's building, on North D Street, corner of Eleventh Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D. C., in the morning on 25 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Randall, Picnic Grove, in the vicinity of Park Hotel, on Seventh Street, D. C., in the evening the same day.

Picnic Grove, in the vicinity of Park Hotel, on Seventh Street, D. C., to two miles southwest of Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, 2 July, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel H W Peck, was ordered across the Potomac River at the Aqueduct Bridge, Georgetown, D. C., at 5 PM on 2 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Peck, Pearl's Farm, north of the road to Ball's Crossroads, two miles southwest of Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 8 PM the same day.

Note: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry and the 13th New York Infantry were stationed north of the road to Ball's Crossroads, two miles southwest of Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel I F Quinby, 13th New York Infantry, on 4 July, 1861.

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was assigned to the Third Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Colonel W T Sherman, 13th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Advance to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16-18 July, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 16 July, 1861, and arrived via Falls Church and Old Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 8 PM the same day. The regiment was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 5.30 AM on 17 July, 1861, and arrived via Flint Hill, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1 PM the same day. The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 17 July, 1861, and arrived three miles west of Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 18 July, 1861, and arrived north of the Warrenton Turnpike, one and half miles west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning the same day.

Note: A detachment of the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry (100), under the command of First Lieutenant C Hunt, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company K, was assigned to guard duty at Camp Peck, Pearl's Farm, north of the road to Ball's Crossroads, two miles southwest of Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and Brigadier General I McDowell, United States Army, arrived at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 1.30 PM on 17 July, 1861.

Skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull run River, 18 July, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was assigned as a reserve during the skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 2 PM and 4.30 PM on 18 July, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was stationed north of the Warrenton Turnpike, one and half miles west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 July, 1861.

North of the Warrenton Turnpike, one & half miles west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Warrenton Turnpike to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 2.30 AM on 21 July, 1861, and arrived between 5 and 6 AM the same day.

Note: Colonel S P Coon, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, was apointed aide de camp to Colonel W T Sherman, Third Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, and Lieutenant Colonel H W Peck, 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, was assigned to command the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry during the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

Retreat to Washington D. C., 21-22 July, 1861: After the first battle of Bull Run the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 21 July, 1861, and proceeded to Washington, D. C., at 12 AM on 22 July, 1861. The regiment arrived at Camp Peck, two miles southwest of Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, via Vienna, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 12 PM the same day.

South side of Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, 23 July, 1861: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was ordered to the south side of Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, on 23 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 79th New York State Militia Infantry (See the 79th New York State Militia Infantry).

Note: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry, Company K, was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, 2 July, 1864: The three years' men of the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry were ordered to Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin, at 4 AM on 11 June, 1864, and were mustered out on 2 July, 1864. The men of the 2nd Wisconsin Infantry not entitled to be mustered out were consolidated as the 2nd Wisconsin Independent Battalion Infantry, Companies A and B, under the command of Captain D B Dailey, Company B, on 11 June, 1864, and was assigned to the 6th Wisconsin infantry, Companies G and H, on November 30, 1864.

Colonel W T Sherman, 13th United States Infantry, Third Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army: W T Sherman proceeded to St Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri, on 27 March, 1861, and was appointed colonel, 13th United States Infantry, by General Orders No.33, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 18 June, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861. Colonel W T Sherman, 13th United States Infantry, was assigned to inspection duty at Washington, D. C., between 20 and 29 June, 1861, and was assigned to command the Third Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, by Special Orders No.16, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 30 June, 1861. He was appointed brigadier general, United States Volunteers, by General Orders No.62, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 22 August, 1861, dated 17 May, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Wisconsin Infantry was assigned to garrison duty at Fort Corcoran, on Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the command of Brigadier General W T Sherman, United States Volunteers, by Special Orders No.10, Headquarters, Division of the Potomac, Washington, D. C., on 4 August, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.25: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp368-371
Colonel W T Sherman, Thirteenth United States Infantry, Third Brigade, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Fort Corcoran, Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, 25 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.16: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp348-352
Brigadier General D Tyler, Connecticut Volunteers, First Division, McDowell's Army, dated Washington, D. C., 27 July, 1861