The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Militia, Fourth (Reserve) Division

Second New Jersey Militia

Mustered in United States service for three months 1 May, 1861. Six companies arrived at Washington, D. C., 6 May, 1861. Did not participate in the first battle of Bull Run

COLONEL H M BAKER
Captain H M Baker, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company G, was appointed colonel, 2nd New Jersey Militia, on 1 May, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL A SPEER
Captain A Speer, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company A, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 2nd New Jersey Militia, on 2 May, 1861, and was assigned to command Companies D, E, I, and K on the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, between Laurel and Bladensburg, Prince George's County, with Headquarters at Hyattsville, Prince George's County, Maryland, on 5 May, 1861.

MAJOR J J VAN BUSKIRK
Captain J J Van Buskirk, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company E, was appointed major, 2nd New Jersey Militia, at Camp Van Riper or Princeton, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861.

Company A Washington Guards, First Regiment, Hudson Brigade: CAPT. G D VAN REIPEN
The company was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, under the command of Captain A Speer, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861. Captain A Speer, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company A, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 2nd New Jersey State Militia, on 2 May, 1861.
Company B Gregory Guards, First Regiment, Hudson Brigade: CAPT. E C HOPPER
The company was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861.
Company C Independence Guards, First Regiment, Hudson Brigade: CAPT. F GRAIN, JR.
The company was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861.
Company D Greenville Guards, First Regiment, Hudson Brigade: CAPT. G F LILLIENDAHL
The company was accepted in state service at Greenville District, Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861.
Company E Close Light Guards, First Regiment, Hudson Brigade: CAPT. H VAN BUSKIRK
The company was accepted in state service at Bayonne, Hudson County, New Jersey, under the command of Captain J J Van Buskirk, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861. Captain J J Van Buskirk, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company E, was appointed major, 2nd New Jersey Militia, at Camp Van Riper or Princeton, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861, and First Lieutenant H Van Buskirk, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company E was appointed captain, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company E, at Camp Van Riper or Princeton, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861.
Company F Montgomery Guards, First Regiment, Hudson Brigade: CAPT. R GILCHRIST, JR.
The company was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, under the command of Captain L J Tonnele, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861. Captain L J Tonnele, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company F, resigned at Washington, D. C., on 15 May, 1861, and First Lieutenant R Gilchrist, Jr., 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company F, was appointed captain, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company F, at Camp Monmouth, Meridian Hill, D. C., on 18 May, 1861.
Company G Hudson Guards, First Company: CAPT. J RAMSaY
The company was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, under the command of Captain H M Baker, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861. Captain H M Baker, 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company G, was appointed colonel, 2nd New Jersey Militia, on 1 May, 1861.
Company H Communipaw Zouaves: CAPT. E S BABCOCK
The company was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861.
Company I Hudson Guards, Second Company: CAPT. J A VAN VOORHIS
The company was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861.
Company K Independence Guards, Second Company, Hudson Brigade: CAPT. W B DUNNING
The company was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861.

Sources

"The Second Regiment of the Hudson Brigade, Gen. Hatfield, Jr., commanding, arrived by the afternoon train yesterday, and were at once taken to Camp Olden, near the State Arsenal. They are a fine body of men."

Trenton State Gazette (Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey), 27 April, 1861

"The old arsenal on Bergen Hill is now occupied by troops, and presents a warlike appearance. Capt. Van Houten is in command and the volunteers are drilled regularly every day."

Newark daily Advertiser (Newark, Essex County, New Jersey), 1 May, 1861 - War preparations in Jersey City

"The first, second, and third New Jersey regiments reached here yesterday morning in two different trains, the first about two o'clock, and the second about eight."

National Republican (Washington, D. C.), 7 May, 1861 - Arrival of New Jersey troops

"Beltsville, Md., 11 May - We have been 'roughing it in the bush' here since Tuesday night, stationed along this (just now) very important railroad, to protect it and the telegraph from injury. We take up the road where Colonel Butler leaves off, about two miles below here, and guard it as far as Bladensburg, which is five miles from Washington. Our company guards two miles of the road, with the centre at this village of half a dozen houses. We are 28 miles from Baltimore and 12 from Washington."

Newark Daily Advertiser (Newark, Essex County, New Jersey), 13 May, 1861 - From a N. J. Picquet

"Washington, D. C., 10 May - Our camp site is selected and operations on it have commenced. It is situated on Meridian Hill, about a mile north of the President's House, which is in fair view of it, as also is the city of Washington, and together with an extensive range of county. This might be inferred from the name of the Hill, which is the spot where the longitude id determined, and our camp will therefore be placed in the established centre of the country. The ground was formerly occupied by Com. Porter. There is a good house upon it for the officers' quarters, and the camps of the regiments will be placed upon four elevations, with a spacious parade ground between. The position is extremely beautiful, and the selection has been commended by high authorities. The 7th N. Y. Regiment is encamped near the spot. The 4th Regiment of our brigade proceeded to encamp this morning, and the other regiments will follow, as soon as the Sibley tents, for which requisitions have been made, are delivered."

Newark Daily Advertiser (Newark, Essex County, New Jersey), 13 May, 1861 - The New Jersey troops in Washington

"The encamping of troops is proceeding as rapidly as the deficiency of tents will permit, and some of the regiments construct barracks. Some of the camps are as follows: Camp Anderson - On Franklin Square, a short distance North of Willard's Hotel, where the New York 12th Regiment is in barracks. Camp Cameron - 7th New York Regiment - on the same street, about a mile North of Willard's, on a hill commanding a fine prospect - being part of the same range on which the camp of the Jersey Brigade is located. Camp Cadwallader - That of the 1st Philadelphia Regiment, near Rock Creek."

Newark Daily Advertiser (Newark, Essex County, New Jersey), 24 May, 1861 - Washington, 19 May, 1861

"Camp Princeton, Arlington, Va., 27 June, 1861 - The grounds comprised within the boundaries of Camp Princeton, are washed upon the west by the waters of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, on the east, to speak freely, by the Potomac. The Fairfax County Court House road divides the encampment into two portions not equal. Where one extremity of the camp touches the canal there is a bridge, which is watched and warded, and over which no one is allowed to pass without a duly authenticated permission from the proper authorities. Crossing this bridge and going up the road on the brow of the hill above, you come to the residence of Mr Roache, one of the leading secessionists of this part of the State."

Irish American Weekly (New York City, New York County, New York), 26 June, 1861 - The New Jersey Brigade. Arlington House. Reconnoitering party

"The Second New Jersey Regiment moved from near the Long Bridge to the vicinity of Alexandria, yesterday."

Evening Star (Washington, D. C.), 19 July, 1861 - Movement of troops

Books/ Manuscripts

History of Jersey City, N.J.: A record of its early settlement and corporate progress, sketches of the towns and cities that were absorbed in the growth of the present municipality, its business, finance, manufactures and form of government, with some notice of the men who built the city, by Alexander McLean

New Jersey and the Rebellion: A history of the service of the troops and people of New Jersey in aid of the Union cause, by John Young Foster

Record of officers and men of New Jersey in the Civil War, 1861-1865, Volume I, compiled in the office of the adjutant general, published by William S Stryker, Adjutant General

The Union Army: A history of military affairs in the loyal states 1861-65, records of the regiments in the Union Army, cyclopedia of battles, memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume 3, New Jersey, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan

Notes

The 2nd New Jersey Militia (Hudson County) was accepted in state service at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, on 17 April, 1861, and was ordered to Washington, D. C., under the call for 75,000 volunteer militia to serve three months on 3 May, 1861, dated 15 April, 1861.

Organisation of the New Jersey Brigade (3,075), 30 April 1861: Brigadier General T Runyon, Brigade Inspector & Major A V Bonnell, Captain J B Mulligan, aide to Brigadier General T Runyon; 1st New Jersey Militia (773), Colonel H M Baker; 2nd New Jersey Militia (745), Colonel A J Johnson; 3rd New Jersey Militia (780), Colonel W Napton; 4th New Jersey Militia (777), Colonel M Miller, Jr.

Jersey City, Hudson County, to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, 26 April, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia was ordered to proceed by the New Jersey Railroad to Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, under the command of Acting Colonel & Brigadier General D Hartford, Jr., New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, and Acting Adjutant & Captain G Van Houten, National Guards, 1st Regiment, Hudson Brigade, at 1.30 PM on 26 April, 1861, and arrived at Camp Olden, on Sandtown Road, two and a half miles east of the Rolling Mill of Trenton Iron Co. and J Shepherd Union Print works, between Federal and Streets, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon the same day.

Note: The Independence Guards, 2nd Company, under the command of First Lieutenant W B Dunning, arrived at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 26 April, 1861.

Mustered for three months, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, 1 May, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia was mustered in United States service for three months at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, by Major T T S Laidley , 5th United States Infantry, and First Lieutenant A T A Torbert, 5th United States Infantry, Company D, on 1 May, 1861.

Note: The 2nd New Jersey State Militia was stationed in the vicinity of the State Arsenal, on Washington Street, between Second and Third Streets, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, on 3 May, 1861.

Camp Olden, on Sandtown Road, two & a half miles east of the Rolling Mill of Trenton Iron Co. & J Shepherd Union Print works, between Federal & Streets, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, to Annapolis Junction, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, 3-4 May, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia (745) was ordered to proceed by steamers on the Delaware & Raritan Canal to Annapolis, Anne Arundal County, Maryland, at 12 PM on 3 May, 1861, and arrived on the Delaware River at Delaware City, New Castle County, Delaware, via Bordentown, Burlington County, New Jersey, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Annapolis, Anne Arundal County, Maryland, at 12 PM on 4 May, 1861, and arrived by the Delaware & Chesapeake Canal and Chesapeake Bay at 4 PM the same day.

Note: The 1st New Jersey Militia, 2nd New Jersey Militia, 3rd New Jersey Militia, and 4th New Jersey Militia were ordered to proceed by the steamers W Woodward, Fannie Cadwalader, Delaware, Franklin, J B Mollison, Eureka, Fanny Garner, Octorata, Raritan, Trenton, Patroon, F W Brune and Elizabeth Turner, to Washington, D. C., under the command of Captain R F Loper, United States Navy, between 1 and 3 May, 1861.

Annapolis Junction, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, to Washington, D. C., 5 May, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia disembarked at Annapolis, Anne Arundal County, Maryland, in the morning on 5 May, 1861.

Annapolis Junction, Anne Arundel County, to Beltsville & Hyattsville, Prince George's County, Maryland, Companies D, E, I, & K, 5 May-24 July, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies D and K, were ordered to proceed by the Annapolis & Elkridge Railroad to Beltsville, Prince George's County, Maryland, and Companies E and I to Hyattsville, Prince George's County, Maryland, in the evening on 5 May, 1861.

Note: The 2nd New Jersey Militia (280), Companies D, E, I, and K, under the command of of Lieutenant Colonel A Speer, were assigned to guard duty on the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, between Laurel and Bladensburg, Prince George's County, Maryland, between 5 May and 24 July, 1861.

Department of Washington, 6-24 May, 1861

The 2nd New Jersey Militia was stationed at Annapolis, Anne Arundal County, Maryland, between 4 and 5 May, 1861.

Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, to Washington, D. C., Companies A, B, C, F, G, & H, 5-6 May, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, were ordered to proceed by the Annapolis & Elkridge Railroad to Washington, D. C., at 3.30 PM on 5 May, 1861, and were accompanied by the 1st New Jersey Militia. Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H arrived by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, via Annapolis Junction, Howard County, Maryland, at 12 AM on 6 May, 1861.

Constitution Office, on E Street, between Twelfth & Thirteenth Streets, Washington, D. C., 6 May, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, were stationed at the Constitution Office, on E Street, between Twelfth and Thirteenth Streets, Washington, D. C., in the morning on 6 May, 1861.

Constitution Office, on E Street, between Twelfth & Thirteenth Streets, Washington, to Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., Companies A, B, C, F, G, & H, 13 May, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia arrived at Camp Monmouth, opposite Columbia College, on Meridian Hill, west of Fourteenth Street Road, D. C., in the morning on 13 May, 1861.

Occupation of Arlington Heights & Alexandria, 24 May, 1861

The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, were ordered across the Potomac River at the Long Bridge, Washington, D. C., under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, at 2 AM on 24 May, 1861, and arrived at the bridge over the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, on the Columbia Turnpike, four hundred yards west of Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the morning the same day (See the Occupation of Arlington Heights and Alexandria).

Note: The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, were stationed at Camp Van Riper or Princeton, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening on 24 May, 1861.

Organisation of centre column during of the occupation of Arlington Heights, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 May, 1861: Major & Assistant Adjutant General S P Heintzelmen, 1st United States Infantry; 7th New York State Militia, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H, Colonel M Lefferts; 12th New York State Militia, Colonel D Butterfield; 25th New York State Militia, Colonel M K Bryan; 2nd New Jersey Militia, Captain H M Baker; 3rd New Jersey Militia, Colonel W Napton, 4th New Jersey Militia, Captain M Miller, Jr.; 2nd United States Cavalry, Company I, Captain A G Brackett; section of 3rd United States Artillery, Light Company E, First Lieutenant D R Ransom

Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia & the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, 24 May, 1861: Detachments of the 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, were assigned to build Fort Runyon, at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, under the supervision of Captain B S Alexander, United States Corps Engineers, at 6 AM on 24 May, 1861 (See the United States Corps Engineers).

Department of Northeastern virginia, 27 May-25 July, 1861

The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, were stationed at Camp Van Riper or Princeton, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 24 May and 16 July, 1861.

Note: Major J G Barnard, Captains B S Alexander and C E Blunt, First Lieutenants F E Prime and D C Houston, Second Lieutenants H M Robert, United States Corps Engineers, and detachments of the 7th New York State Militia, the 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, the 3rd New Jersey Militia, and the 4th New Jersey Militia were stationed at the junction of the Columbia and the Washington & Alexandria Turnpikes, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 27 May, 1861.

Scouting expedition to Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, Company C, 26-27 June, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company C, and the 4th New Jersey Militia, Company F, under the command of Major R C Johnson, 4th New Jersey Militia, were ordered on a scouting expedition to Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 4.30 PM on 26 June, 1861, and arrived at 7.30 PM the same day. A detachment of the 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company C, was stationed east of the road and the 4th New Jersey Militia, Company F, west of the road at Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 7.30 PM on 26 June and 4 AM on 27 June, 1861. The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Company C, and the 4th New Jersey Militia, Company F, were ordered to Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, at 4 AM on 27 June, 1861 (See the 4th New Jersey Militia).

Note: A detachment of the 2nd New Jersey Militia (25), Company C, under the command of First Lieutenant J H Hughes, was stationed a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 7.30 PM on 26 June and 4 AM on 27 June, 1861.

General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, 8 July, 1861: The 2nd New Militia was assigned to the Fourth Division, McDowell's Army, under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, by General Orders No.13, Headquarters, Department of Northeastern Virginia, Arlington, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861.

Note: Brigadier General I McDowell, United States Army, was stationed at Camp Van Riper or Princeton, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia, in the evening on 27 May, 1861.

Disposition of the New Jersey Militia, Fourth (Reserve) Division, McDowell's Army, 15 July, 1861: 1st New Jersey Militia, Colonel A J Johnson, Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia; 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, H, Colonel H M Baker, Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia; 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies D, E, I, and K, Lieutenant Colonel A Speer, Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, between Laurel and Bladensburg, Prince George's County, Maryland; 3rd New Jersey Militia, Colonel W Napton, Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, a quarter of a mile south of Roach's Mills (old cotton factory), on Four Mile Run, Alexandria County, Virginia; 4th New Jersey Militia, Colonel M Miller, Jr., Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, Virginia

Columbia Springs, Alexandria County, to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, & H, 16 July, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, were ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and were accompanied by seven companies of the 4th New Jersey Militia (See the 4th New Jersey Militia).

Note: Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, was ordered to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and assumed command of all the troops not on the march to the front, including those within the various fortifications and camps on 18 July, 1861.

Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia, Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H, were stationed at Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 21 July, 1861.

Washington, D. C., to Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, 25-28 July, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia was ordered to proceed by the Washington Branch, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, in the afternoon on 25 July, 1861, and Companies A, B, C, F, G, and H arrived by the New Jersey Railroad at Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, in the evening on 27 July, 1861, and Companies D, E, I, and K, under the command of Colonel H M Baker, at 1.30 PM on 28 July, 1861.

Mustered out, Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, 31 July, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia was mustered out at Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, by First Lieutenant A T A Torbert, 5th United States Infantry, Company D, on 31 July, 1861.

Reserves, defenses of Washington, D. C., 21 July, 1861: The 2nd New Jersey Militia was assigned to the defenses of Washington, D. C., under the command of Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, during and immediately after the first battle of Bull Run on 21 July, 1861.

Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, Fourth (Reserve) Division, McDowell's Army: Brigadier General T Runyon, New Jersey (Militia) Volunteers, was discharged by General Orders No.46, Paragraph III, War Department, Adjutant General's Office, Washington, D. C., on 19 July, 1861, dated 30 July, 1861.