The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Headquarters, Army of the Potomac

Lays's Squadron Cavalry

Powhatan Troop arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 9 May, 1861; Wise Troop 15 June, 1861; and Little Fork Rangers 5 July, 1861. Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Stationed at the Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861

CAPTAIN J F LAY

Unlettered Company Powhatan Troop: CAPT. J F LAY
The company was accepted in state service at Powhatan Courthouse, Powhatan County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin and Lieutenant Colonel & Assistant Adjutant General J Selden, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, in the morning on 28 April, 1861. The company was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company E, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861.
Unlettered Company Little Fork Rangers: CAPT. R E UTTERBACK
The Little Fork Rangers was accepted in state service at Oakshade, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Major F J Skinner, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 May, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Infantry). The company was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company D, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861, on 4 September, 1861.
Unlettered Company Wise Dragoons: CAPT. J A ADAMS
The company was organised at Salem, Fauquier County, Virginia, by Dr J A Adams on 1 April, 1861, and was accepted in state service on 24 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia, by Major W H Ker, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and was assigned to Seventh Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army, at Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.229, Headquarters, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 14 August, 1861. The company was assigned to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, Company H, by Special Orders No.276, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 12 September, 1861.

Sources

"The military spirit of Culpeper is fairly aroused, and almost every train bears away some of her gallant sons to join their companions in arms at Harper's Ferry. A cavalry company, the Little Fork Rangers, have been drilling here for some days past, getting ready to be called into active service."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 27 April, 1861 - Culpeper County

"The Wise Dragoons, of Fauquier, (Capt. John A. Adams), have been quartered here for nearly three weeks."

The Alexandria Gazette, 20 May, 1861 - Occoquan, Va., 15 May, 1861

"The Wise Dragoons, Captain Adams' company, from Fairfax county, who have been stationed near Occoquan, voted unanimously for secession."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 27 May, 1861

"The military spirit of Culpeper is fairly aroused, and almost every train bears away some of her gallant sons to join their companions in arms at Harper's Ferry. A cavalry company, the Little Fork Rangers, have been drilling here for some days past, getting ready to be called into active service."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 28 May, 1861 - Affairs in Culpeper, Mitchell's Station, Culpeper County, 25 May, 1861

"Capt. Browning's company of cavalry, the Orange Rangers, is now encamped here, ready to be mustered into service. It would be difficult to find a body of men of more physical power and endurance - of more will, determination and energy."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 8 June, 1861 - Orange Courthouse, 6 June, 1861

"This, however, was temporary; but a permanent squadron, consisting of the Powhatan Troop, the Little Fork Rangers, of Culpeper county, Captain Utterbuck commanding, and a Fauquier troop, commanded by Captain Adams, was formed, to be attached and report directly to headquarters, and Captain Lay was assigned to command. This squadron, as such, passed through the battles of Bull Run on the 18th and Manassas on the 21st - on the field during the whole of each day – and received handsome official notice from Generals Johnston and Beauregard for efficient services rendered. Being on the field within sound of the voice of General Johnston, this squadron was the first ordered in pursuit when the rout commenced, were the first at Sudley church, and on the way to Washington, when ordered back by a courier, reaching camp about five A. M. – over twenty-two hours in the saddle."

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 8: Reminiscenes of the Powhatan Troop of Cavalry in 1861, by Colonel J F Lay

"On 19–20 April 1861, twenty-nine unit members and citizens of the Little Fork area subscribed cash to purchase cloth for new uniforms more suited to battle. Grey cloth, made at the Schwarz Woolen Mills at Waterloo, a ford on the Hedgeman River, was purchased with subscribed funds and the ladies in and around the village of Jeffersonton sewed the uniforms which were worn at Manassas."

Military Collector & Historians, Volume 64 No.3: The Little Fork Rangers at the skirmish of Blackburn's Ford and the first battle of Manassas, by J Robert Hughes

"On July 18, Major John Scott, commanding the post at Davis' House, received orders to have his command, Davis' and Adams' companies, fed, saddled and extra rations issued by 8 o'clock. Private Minor wrote, We left Occoquan Thursday evening (Imean by we, our troop and the Prince William), and were very nearly cut off by 400 of the enemy. One of the Wise Dragoons informed us that they were on our road about a mile in front of us; we turned off, went around them and got here safely… The Prince William (troop) were left to guard Davis' Ford and we came on to Camp Wigfall."

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Second Virginia Cavalry, First Edition, No.990 of 1000, by R J Driver, Jr. & H E Howard

The Little Fork Rangers: A sketch of Company D, Fourth Virginia Cavalry, by Woodford B Hackley

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events, Volume 69, Serial No.81: Record of events for Fourth Virginia Cavalry, April 1861-November 1864, edited by James B Hewett

The years of anguish, Fauquier County, Virginia, 1861-1865: Collected and compiled for the Fauquier County Civil War Centennial Committee, by Emily G Ramey and John K Gott

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Fourth Virginia Cavalry, Second Edition, by K L Stiles

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Sixth Virginia Cavalry, Second Edition, by M Musick

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition by I A Wallace, Jr.

Notes

Little Fork Rangers

The Little Fork Rangers was accepted in state service at Oakshade, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861, and was stationed at Jeffersonton, Culpeper County, Virginia, between 25 and 27 may, 1861.

Jeffersonton to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 27 May, 1861: The Little Fork Rangers arrived at Freeman's House, two and a half miles west of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 27 May, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 27 May, 1861: The Little Fork Rangers was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel A S Taylor, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 May, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Litttle Fork Rangers was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Orange & Alexandria Railroad & Rappahannock River, half a mile west of Rappahannock Station, Rappahannock County, Virginia, 19 June, 1861: The Litttle Fork Rangers was assigned to guard duty on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad and Rappahannock River, half a mile west of Rappahannock Station, Rappahannock County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry).

Note: The Orange Rangers, under the command of Captain G J Browning, was accepted in state service at Orange Courthouse, Orange County, Virginia, on 4 May, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 12 June, 1861. The company was mustered in state service at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, by Major G G Skinner, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 19 June, 1861, and a detachment of the Orange Rangers was stationed on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad and Rappahannock River, half a mile west of Rappahannock Station, Rappahannock County, Virginia, on 27 June, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Infantry).

C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 3-5 July, 1861: The Little Fork Rangers was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 3 July, 1861, and arrived at Jeffersonton via Oakshade, Culpeper County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The company arrived at New Baltimore, Fauquier County, Virginia, in the evening on 4 July, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 5 July, 1861. The Little Fork Rangers arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, the same day.

Note: The Little Fork Rangers was assigned to Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, by Special Orders No.93, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861.

Skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 18 July, 1861: The Little Fork Rangers, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, was ordered to McLean's Farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the Powhatan Troop and Brigader General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army. The company was assigned to Brigadier General J Longstreet, Confederate States Army, at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon the same day and was ordered to J Hooe's Farm, one mile east of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 July, 1861.

Note: The Little Fork Rangers and the Powhatan Troop, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, were assigned as couriers, guides, and bodyguards to Brigader General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army, on 18 July, 1861.

Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 July, 1861: The Little Fork Rangers was ordered to the Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 20 July, 1861.

Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, detachment 21 July, 1861: A detachment of the Little Fork Rangers, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, was ordered to the F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 10.30 AM on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The Little Fork Rangers and the Powhatan Troop, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, were assigned as couriers, guides, and bodyguards to Brigader General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army, on 21 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Little Fork Rangers was stationed at the Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

The Little Fork Rangers was assigned to 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company D, under the command of Colonel B H Robertson, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 19 September, 1861.

Powhatan Troop

The Powhatan Troop was accepted in state service at Powhatan Courthouse, Powhatan County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861.

Powhatan Courthouse to St Luke's Episcopal Church, Fine Creek Mills, Powhatan County, Virginia, 25 April, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was ordered to St Luke's Episcopal Church, Fine Creek Mills, Powhatan County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861.

Note: Captain P St G Cocke, Powhatan Troop, was appointed brigadier general, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 21 April, 1861, and First Lieutenant J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, was appointed captain, Powhatan Troop, on 25 April, 1861 (See the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

St Luke's Episcopal Church, Fine Creek Mills, Powhatan County, to Richmond, Virginia, 27 April, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was ordered to Richmond, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, and arrived at the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, on Broad Street, Richmomd, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Mustered in one year, Richmond, Virginia, 28 April, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin and Lieutenant Colonel & Assistant Adjutant General J Selden, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, in the morning on 28 April, 1861.

Richmond to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 28-29 April, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was ordered to Alexandria, Virginia, by Special Orders No.5, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861, but the order was countermanded and the company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, in the evening on 28 April, 1861. The company arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, in the morning on 29 April, 1861.

Note: The Powhatan Troop was stationed at F Hill's Farm, one and a half miles southwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861.

F Hill's Farm, one & a half miles southwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 8-9 May, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 8 May, 1861, and arrived at White Sulphur Springs, on the Rappahannock River, four miles southeast of Waterloo, Fauquier County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The company was ordered to Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia, in the morning on 9 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Black Horse Troop (See the Black Horse Troop). The Powhatan Troop arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening the same day.

Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 10 May, 1861: The Powhatan Troop and the Black Horse Troop were assigned to Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command Captain W H F Payne, Black Horse Troop, on 10 May, 1861 (See Munford's Squadron Cavalry).

Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 14 May, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was ordered to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861.

Return of troops stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 20 May, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was stationed at Camp Henry, C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, 20 May, 1861.

Note: The Powhatan Troop, Albemarle Light Horse, and Madison Cavalry were stationed at Freeman's House, two and a half miles west of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861.

C George's, northwest of Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 24-25 May, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 24 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Albemarle Light Horse (See Scott's Squadron Cavalry). The company arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Warrenton, Fauquier County, Virginia, in the evening on 25 May, 1861.

Note: The Powhatan Troop was stationed at J Hooe's Farm, one mile east of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Special Orders No.14, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, near Manassas Junction, Virginia, 9 June, 1861: The Powhatan Troop and the Albemarle Light Horse were assigned to Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, by Special Orders No.14, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 9 June, 1861.

Note: The Black Horse Troop was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 4 and 9 June, 1861, and was accompanied by Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army (See the First Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

J Hooe's Farm, one mile east of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 9 July, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was stationed at J Hooe's Farm, one mile east of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 9 July, 1861.

Note: The Little Fork Rangers was assigned to Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, by Special Orders No.93, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 6 July, 1861.

Skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 18 July, 1861: The Powhatan Troop was ordered to McLean's Farm, one mile southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the Little Fork Rangers and Brigader General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army. The company was ordered to J Hooe's Farm, one mile east of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 18 July, 1861.

Note: The Powhatan Troop and the Little Fork Rangers, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, were assigned as couriers, guides, and bodyguards to Brigader General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army, on 18 and 21 July, 1861.

J Hooe's Farm, one mile east of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The Powhatan Troop and a detachment of the Little Fork Rangers, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, were ordered to F Lewis' Farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 10.30 AM on 21 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Powhatan Troop was stationed at J Hooe's Farm, one mile east of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The Powhatan Troop was stationed at J Hooe's Farm, one mile east of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 15 August, 1861, and in the vicinity of Farifax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 1 October, 1861.

The Powhatan Troop was assigned to the 4th Virginia Cavalry, Company E, under the command of Colonel B H Robertson, by Special Orders No.248, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861, and was ordered to rendezvous at Sangster's or W Elzey's Crossroads, two miles south of Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 19 September, 1861.

Wise Dragoons

The Wise Dragoons was accepted in state service at Salem, Fauquier County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was stationed at Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia, 27 April, 1861: The Wise Dragoons was mustered in state service for one year at Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia, by Major W H Ker, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 27 April, 1861.

Dumfries to Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, 29 April & 15 May, 1861: The Wise Dragoons was ordered to Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861, and was stationed at Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, on 15 May, 1861.

Note: The Warrenton Rifles, the Wise Dragoons, and the Black Horse Troop were stationed at Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861.

Bethel Church, Prince William County, Virginia, 31 May, 1861: The Wise Dragoons was ordered to Bethel Church, Prince William County, Virginia, and set up a courier line between Dumfries and Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861.

Telegraphic & Occoquan Roads, one & a half miles east of Occoquon, Prince William County, Virginia, 4 & 15 June, 1861: The Wise Dragoons was ordered to the intersection of the Telegraphic and the Occoquan Roads, one and a half miles east of Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 2, Paragraph VII, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861, and was assigned to picket duty at Occoquon, Prince William County, Virginia, and Telegraphic Road Ford, on the Occoquon River, between 4 June and 15 June, 1861.

Note: A detachment of ten men of the Wise Dragoons were assigned as pickets and couriers to Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, 24th Virginia Infantry, on 4 June, 1861 (See 24th Virginia Infantry).

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Wise Dragoons was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Payne's Store, one mile west of Occoquan, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 16 June, 1861: The Wise Dragoons was stationed at Payne's Store, one mile west of Occoquan, Prince William County, on 14 June, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.37, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 16 June, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant J C Davis, Wise Dragoons, resigned on 9 June, 1861, and the Albermarle Light Horse arrived at Payne's Store, one mile west of Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, on 16 June, 1861 (See Scott's Squadron Cavalry).

Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 18 June, 1861: The Wise Dragoons was ordered to the Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.46 1/2, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861.

Note: Captain J A Adams, Wise Dragoons, was ordered to supply a monthly return of the the Wise Dragoons to Lieutenant Colonel R S Ewell, cavalry, Confederate States Army, stationed at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 46 1/2, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861.

Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 18-21 July, 1861: The Wise Dragoons was assigned to Lay's Squadron Cavalry, under the command of Captain J F Lay, Powhatan Troop, on 18 and 21 July, 1861, and was stationed at the Weir House or Liberia, three quarters of a mile north of Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the Wise Dragoons was ordered to Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.229, Headquarters, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 14 August, 1861.

The Wise Dragoons was assigned to the Seventh Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel N G Evans, cavlary, Confederate States Army, by Special Orders No.229, Headquarters, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 14 August, 1861, and to the 6th Virginia Cavalry, Company H, under the command of Colonel C W Field, 6th Virginia Cavalry, by Special Orders No.276, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 12 September, 1861.

Lay's Squadron cavalry

Fairfax, Prince William, & Fauquier Counties, Virginia, 3 August, 1861: The Little Fork Rangers and the Powhatan Troop, under the command of Captain J F Lay, were assigned to scouting duty at Fairfax, Prince William, and Fauquier Counties to recover property of the enemy abandoned on the battlefield on 21 July, 1861, by Special Orders No.203, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 3 August, 1861.

Disbanded at Lynchburg, Virginia, 11 April, 1865: The 4th Virginia Cavalry and the 6th Virginia Cavalry were disbanded at Lynchburg, Virginia, on 11 April, 1865.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.123: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp572-573
Captain J F Lay, Lay's Squadron Cavalry, of operations 18 and 21 July, 1861, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 15 August, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT No.84, Part I: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), pp484-504
Brigadier General P G T Beauregard, Confederate States Army, Army of the Potomac, and resulting correspondence, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 14 October, 1861, dated Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 26 August, 1861

Orders of Battle

The above painting, 'The Fourth Alabama', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historical artist.