The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Reserves, Army of the Potomac

Colonel L T Wigfall, 1st Texas Infantry

Colonel L T Wigfall, 1st Texas Infantry

First Texas Infantry

Mustered in Confederate service for one year and the war between 16 May and 9 August, 1861. Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 22 July, 1861. Did not paricipate in the first battle of Manassas

COLONEL L T WIGFALL
L T Wigfall was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Texas Battalion Infantry, on 8 July, 1861, and colonel, 1st Texas Infantry, on 28 August, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL H MCLEOD
H McLeod, Texas State Troops, was appointed major, infantry, Confederate States Army, and assigned to the 1st Texas Battalion Infantry, on 20 August, 1861. Major H McLeod, 1st Texas Battalion Infantry, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Texas Infantry, on 6 September, 1861, dated 2 September, 1861.

MAJOR A T RAINEY
Captain A T Rainey, 1st Texas Infantry, Company H, was appointed major, 1st Texas Infantry, on 1 October, 1861.

Company A Marion Rifles: CAPT. H H BLACK
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Jefferson, Marion County, Texas, under the command of Captain A B Bobo, on 27 April, 1861, and arrived by the steamer P E Bonford on the Mississippi River at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 3 May, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year, under the command of Captain H H Black, at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by First Lieutenant C W Phifer, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 16 May, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, Bush Hill, on the Bush Hill Plank Road, northwest of Richmond, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.
Company B Livingston Guards: CAPT. D D MOORE
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Livingston, Polk County, Texas, on 29 April, 1861, and was ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, the same day. The company arrived at Liberty, Liberty County, Texas, on 1 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by First Lieutenant C W Phifer, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 16 May, 1861.
Company C Palmer Guards: CAPT. A G DICKINSON
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Jefferson, Marion County, Texas, on 2 May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by First Lieutenant C W Phifer, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 19 May, 1861.
Company D Star Rifles: CAPT. A G CLOPTON
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Linden, Cass County, Texas, on 27 May, 1861, and was ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, the same day. The company arrived by the steamer Fleta on the Red River at Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, via Jefferson, Marion County, Texas, on 30 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the steamer Texas on the Red River to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, at 12 AM on 31 May, 1861. The company arrived at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 3 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year by Junior Second Lieutenant N W Pope, 4th Louisana Infantry, Company C, on 6 June, 1861.
Company E Marshall Guards: CAPT. F S BASS
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Marshall, Harrison County, Texas, on 28 May, 1861, and was ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, in the morning the same day. The company arrived at Swanson's Landing, Harrison County, Texas, on 28 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the steamer Fleta to Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, on 30 May, 1861. The company arrived at Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, in the evening the same day and was ordered to proceed by the steamer Texas on the Red River to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, at 12 AM on 31 May, 1861. The company arrived at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 3 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year by Junior Second Lieutenant N W Pope, 4th Louisana Infantry, Company C, on 6 June, 1861. The company was stationed at Richmond, Virginia, on 27 June, 1861.
Company F Woodville Rifles: CAPT. P A WORK
The company was accepted in state service at Woodville, Tyler County, Texas, on 9?) May, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for one year at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by Junior Second Lieutenant N W Pope, 4th Louisana Infantry, Company C, on 28 May, 1861.
Company G Reagan Guards: CAPT. J R WOODWARD
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Palestine, Anderson County, Texas, on 23 June, 1861, and arrived at Shrevesport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, via Henderson, Rusk County, Texas, at 11 AM on 4 July, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the steamer Texas on the Red River to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, the same day and was accompanied by the Texas Guards. The company arrived by the Mississippi River at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, via Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 8 July, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war by Second Lieutenant J G Devereux, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, Company I, on 10 July, 1861.
Company H Texas Guards or Anderson County Invincibles: CAPT. A T Rainey
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Palestine, Anderson County, Texas, under the command of Captain A T Rainey, on 24 June, 1861, and arrived at Shrevesport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, via Henderson, Rusk County, Texas, on 5 July, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the steamer Texas on the Red River to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, the same day and was accompanied by the Reagan Guards. The company arrived by the Mississippi River at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, via Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 8 July, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war by Second Lieutenant J G Devereux, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, Company I, at 2 PM on 10 July, 1861. Captain A T Rainey, 1st Texas Infantry, Company H, was appointed major, 1st Texas Infantry, on 1 October, 1861, and First Sergeant W H Gaston, 1st Texas Infantry, Company H, was appointed captain, 1st Texas Infantry, Company H, on 14 October, 1861.
Company I Crockett Southrons: CAPT. E CURRIE
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Crockett, Houston County, Texas, on 18 June, 1861, and was ordered to Richmond, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for the war at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by First Lieutenant R Agar, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, Company H, on 9 August, 1861.
Company K (1st) Daniel Boone Rifles: CAPT. A Covington
The company was accepted in Confederate service for the war at Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, on 25 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, by Special Orders No.59, Paragraph VII, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 10 June, 1861, dated 25 May, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Camp Davis, Fairgrounds, on Fifth Street, two miles west of Lynchburg, Virginia, by Major & Assistant Adjutant General H L Clay, Confederate States Army, on 25 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.249, Paragraph IV, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 13 August, 1861. The company was temporarily assigned to the 1st Texas Infantry, Company K (1st), by Special Orders No.250, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 14 August, 1861, and to the 5th Alabama Battalion Infantry, Compamy D, on 9 March, 1862 (See the Battalion Heavy Artillery).
Company K (2nd) Texas Invincibles: CAPT. B F BENTON
The company was accepted in Confederate service for one year at San Augustine, San Augustine County, Texas, on 11 July, 1861, and was ordered to Richmond, Virginia, in September 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Griffin Springs, on Almond Creek, three miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Virginia, by Captain & Assistant Adjutant General L R Page, Confederate States Army, on 11 October, 1861, dated 11 July, 1861, and was assigned to the 1st Texas Infantry, Company K (2nd), by Special Orders No.87, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 16 April, 1862.
Company L Lone Star Rifles: CAPT. A C MCKEEN
The company was accepted in Confederate service at Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, on 1 August, 1861, and was ordered to Richmond, Virginia, on 2 August, 1861. The company arrived by steamer on the Mississippi River at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, via Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, on 14 August, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northen Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the morning on 16 August, 1861. The company arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Virginia, via Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi; Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee; and Lynchburg, Virginia, on 18 August, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war at Camp Wigfall, J J Wilcoxen's Farm, in the vicinity of the intersection of Union Mills and Hooe's Hill Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, on 30 August, 1861.
Company M Sumter Light Infantry: CAPT. H BALLENGER
The company was accepted or mustered in Confederate service for twelve months and three years or the war at Sumter, Trinity County, Texas, on 5 May, 1862, and was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day. The company arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond via Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi; Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee; and Lynchburg, Virginia, on 31 May, 1862, and was assigned to the 1st Texas Infantry at Camp Wigfall, J J Wilcoxen's Farm, in the vicinity of the intersection of Union Mills and Hooe's Hill Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, on 10 August, 1862.

Expedition to Camp Cooper, 6-21 February, 1861

A detachment of sixteen Texas State Troops, under the command of Captain R Ward, was ordered to seize Camp Cooper, on Clear Fork of the Brazos River, one mile north of South Bend, Young County, Texas, on 6 February, 1861, and Colonel W C Dalrymple, aide de camp to Governor S Houston, took possession of Camp Cooper, on Clear Fork of the Brazos River, one mile north of South Bend, Young County, Texas, at 11 AM on 21 February, 1861 (See the United States Cavalry Battalion).

Troops stationed at Camp Cooper, on Clear Fork of the Brazos River, one mile north of South Bend, Young County, Texas, 6-21 February, 1861: Colonel W C Dalrymple, aide-de-camp to Governor S Houston; Texas Rangers, Captain R Ward (Dallas, Dallas County); Texas Rangers, Captain A Denton (Fort Worth, Tarrant County); Texas Rangers, Captain H A Hamner (Jacksboro, Jack County); Texas Rangers, Captain J B McCowan (Palo Pinto, Palo Pinto County); Texas State Troops, Captain E W Rogers (Waxahatchie, Ellis County); Texas State Troops, Captain D L Sublett (Waco, McLennan County); Texas State Troops, Captain T Harrison (Waco, McLennan County)

Garrison at Camp Cooper, on the Brazos River, on Clear Fork of the Brazos River, one mile north of South Bend, Young County, Texas, 21 February, 1861: Captain S D Carpenter, 1st United States Infantry, Company H; 2nd United States Cavalry, Company D, Captain I N Palmer; 2nd United States Cavalry, Company H, Second Lieutenant J B Harrison; 1st United States Infantry, Company H

Note: One company of Texas State Troops, under the command of Captain E W Rogers, and Colonel W C Dalrymple, aide-de-camp to Governor S Houston, were stationed at Camp Cooper, on Clear Fork of the Brazos River, one mile north of South Bend, Young County, Texas, on 21 February, 1861, and a company of Texas State Troops, under the command of Captain J B Barry, was stationed at Fort Chadbourne, on Oak Creek, Tom Green (Coke) County, Texas, on 7 March, 1861, and at Camp Cooper, on Clear Fork of the Brazos River, one mile north of South Bend, Young County, Texas, on 27 April, 1861.

Surrender of San Antonio Barracks & Arsenal, 16 February, 1861

Colonel B McCulloch, cavalry, Provisional Army of Texas, was stationed at Seguin, Guadalupe County, Texas, and was ordered to seize San Antonio Barracks and Arsenal, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 9 February, 1861, and Lieutenant Colonel W Hoffman, 8th United States Infantry, surrendered San Antonio Barracks and Arsenal, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, to T J Devine, S A Maverick, and P N Luckett, commissioners to the State of Texas, at 11 AM on 16 February, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry and United States Army, Department of Washington).

Lockhart, Caldwell County, to Guadalupe River, four miles west of Seguin, Guadalupe County, Texas, 9 & 13 February, 1861: The Caldwell Volunteers (150), under the command of Major R L Holmes and Captain E M Rogan, was ordered to rendezvous at or in the vicinity of Seguin, Guadalupe County, Texas, at 12 PM on 9 February, 1861, and arrived at Camp Young, on the Guadalupe River, four miles west of Seguin, Guadalupe County, Texas, on 13 February, 1861.

Note: The Seguin Cavalry (70), under the command of Captain T N Minter, arrived at Camp Young, on the Guadalupe River, four miles west of Seguin, Guadalupe County, Texas, on 14 February, 1861, and the Seguin Cavalry and the Caldwell Volunteers were ordered to the east bank of Salado Creek, four miles east of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 15 February, 1861.

Seguin, Guadalupe County, to the east bank of Salado Creek, four miles east of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 14-15 February, 1861: The Knight's of the Golden Circle (40), Seguin Castle, under the command of Captain (?) Heron, was ordered to the east bank of Salado Creek, four miles east of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 14 February, 1861, and arrived in the evening on 15 February, 1861.

Note: The Gonzales Legion (100), under the command of Colonel (?) Jones, arrived at Seguin, Guadalupe County, Texas, in the morning on 16 February, 1861, and was ordered to the east bank of Salado Creek, five miles east of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, the same day.

Garrison at San Antonio Barracks and Arsenal, San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 16 February, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel W Hoffman, 8th United States Infantry; 8th United States Infantry, Company A, under the command of Brevet Major & Captain L Smith; 1st United Sates Infantry, Company I, Captain J H King

Surrender of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 16 February, 1861: Gonzales Legion, Hardeman Rifles, Captain J C G Key; Gonzales Legion, Captain (?) Ashley; Caldwell Volunteers, Major R L Holme, Captain E M Rogan; Seguin Cavalry, Captain T N Minter; Knight's of the Golden Circle, Seguin Castle (Seguin, Guadalupe County) Captain (?) Herron; Knights of the Golden Circle, New Braunfels Castle (Comal, Guadalupe County), Captain (?) Thomas; Knights of the Golden Circle, Pleasanton Castle (Pleasanton, Atascosa County), Captain (?) Walker; Knights of the Golden Circle, Castroville Castle (Castroville, Medina County), Captain (?) Paul

Troops stationed at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 16 February, 1861: Alamo Rifles, Captain J A Wilcox; Alamo City Guards, Captain W Edgar; Knights of the Golden Circle, Charles Bickley Castle (San Antonio, Bexar County), Captain T T Teel; Ward No.2, Captain (?) Newton; Texas Rangers, Captain W G Tobin

Seizure of Brazos Santiago, 21 February, 1861

J S Ford was appointed colonel, cavalry, Provisional Army of Texas, on 3 February, 1861, dated 3 March, 1861, and was ordered to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, and seize forts and property in the Military District of the Rio Grande, on the Rio Grande River, between Fort Duncan, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County, Texas, and Fort McIntosh, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of Laredo, Webb County, Texas, including all forts below on the Rio Grande River, and the district of country between the Nueces and Rio Grande Rivers, on 20 February, 1861.

Galveston, Galveston County, to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, 1st Battalion, Texas State Troops, 20-21 February, 1861: The 1st Battalion, Texas State Troops, under the command of Colonel J S Ford and Lieutenant Colonel H McLeod, was ordered to proceed by the steamer General Rusk to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, at 11 AM on 20 February, 1861, and was accompanied by E B Nichols, commisioner to the State of Texas. The steamer General Rusk arrived at Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, on 21 February, 1861.

Note: The Milam Rifles and the Davis Guards arrived at Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, in the evening on 17 February, 1861, and the Richmond or Fort Bend Rifles (45) arrived in the morning on 21 February, 1861.

Steamer General Rusk & schooner Stark, First Battalion, Texas State Troops: Colonel J S Ford, Lieutenant Colonel H McLeod, Major & Commissioner E B Nichols; Galveston Artillery (Galveston, Galveston County), Captain H Van Buren; Lone Star Rifles (Galveston, Galveston County), Captain W H Redwood; Lone Star Coast Guards (Galveston, Galveston County), Captain W D Davis; Milam Rifles (Houston, Harris County), Captain W Edwards; Davis Guards (Houston, Harris County), Captain F A Odlum; Richmond or Fort Bend Rifles (Richmond, Fort Bend County), Captain D A Conner

Garrison at Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, 21 February, 1861: First Lieutenant J Thompson, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M; detachment of tweleve men of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M (See the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M)

Note: A detachment of twelve men of the 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, under the command of First Lieutenant J Thompson, was ordered to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, on 9 February, 1861, and a detachment of twenty men of the 2nd United States Cavalry, Company G, arrived on 18 February, 1861. The detachment of twenty men of the 2nd United States Cavalry, Company G, was ordered to proceed by the steamer Arizona to the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, in the evening on 20 February, 1861.

Surrender of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, 21 February, 1861: First Lieutenant J Thompson, 2nd United States Artillery, Light Company M, surrendered Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, to E B Nichols, commisioner to the State of Texas, on 21 February, 1861.

Seizure of Fort Brown & Brownsville, 21 February-20 March, 1861

E B Nichols, commisioner to the State of Texas, was ordered to Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, in the morning on 25 February, 1861, and arrived at 3.45 PM on 26 February, 1861. H B Waller, agent and attorney to E B Nichols, commissioner to the State of Texas, took possession of Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, in the morning on 20 March, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry).

Note: The Liberty Volunteers arrived at Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, in the morning on 28 February, 1861.

Galveston, Galveston County, to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, 1-2 March, 1861: The 2nd Battalion, Texas State Troops, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel B F Terry, Provisional Army of Texas, was ordered to proceed by the steamer General Rusk to Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, at 2 AM on 1 March, 1861, and arrived at 11 AM on 2 March, 1861.

Steamer General Rusk, Second Battalion, Texas State Troops: Lieutenant Colonel B F Terry, Commissioner E B Nichols; Brazoria Volunteers (Brazoria County), Captain W G Moseley; Hempstead (Harris County) and Navasota (Grimes County) Volunteers, Captain E Waller; Liberty Volunteers (Liberty County), Captain W D Williams; Galveston Rifles (Galveston, Galveston County), Captain N B Yard

Note: Three companies of Texas Rangers, under the command of Captains M Nolan (Corpus Christi, Nueces County), J Littleton (Karnes County), and J Donelson (Oakville, Live Oak County), arrived at Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 2 March, 1861.

Rio Grande Regiment, Texas State Troops, 13 March, 1861: Colonel J S Ford, Lieutenant Colonel H McLeod, Major B F Terry; Company A, Milam Rifles (40), Captain W Edwards; Company B, Lone Star Rifles (60), Captain W H Redwood; Company C, Waller's Rangers (104), Captain E Waller; Company D, Beaumont Dragoons, Captain F P Powers; Company E (70), Captain B Donnelly; Company F, Lone Star Coast Guards (35), Captain A A Tomlinson; Company G, Donelson's Rangers, Captain J Donelson; Littleton's Rangers, Captain J Littleton; Nolan's Rangers, Captain M Nolan

Note: Littleton's Rangers (60) was stationed at Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, on 12 March, 1861, and the Beaumont Dragoons was assigned to garrison duty at Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, Texas, on 13 March, 1861.

Banks of the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, twenty-two miles east of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 13 & 19 March, 1861: The Milam Rifles, the Lone Star Rifles, Waller's Rangers, Captain B Donnelly's Company, and the Lone Star Coast Guards were stationed on the banks of the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, twenty-two miles east of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 13 March, 1861, and Colonel J S Ford, Provisional Army of Texas, arrived on 17 March, 1861. The Milam Rifles, the Lone Star Rifles, Waller's Rangers, Captain B Donnelly's Company, and the Lone Star Coast Guards were ordered to Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 19 March, 1861, and arrived on 21 March, 1861.

Garrison at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 20 March, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel E Backus, 3rd United States Infantry; 3rd United States Infantry, Company A, Captain A W Bowman

Note: The Milam Rifles and the Lone Star Coast Guards were ordered to proceed by the steamer James Hale on the Rio Grande River to Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, on 25 March, 1861, and Donelson's Rangers was stationed at Resaca de la Palma, four miles south of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 27 March, 1861.

Discharged troops, Brazos Santiago, Brazos Island, to Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, 13-15 March, 1861: The Galveston Artillery (35), Captain H Van Buren; the Galveston Rifles (38), Captain A C McKeen; detachment of the Milam Rifles (25), Second Lieutenant A F Gemmell; detachment of the Lone Star Rifles (45), First Lieutenant Berry; the Richmond or Fort Bend Rifles (33), Captain D A Conner; the Brazoria Volunteers (48), Captain W G Moseley; the Gentry Volunteers (35), Captain I C Stafford; detachment of Hempstead (Harris County) and Navasota (Grimes County) Volunteers (24), First Lieutenant W Boyd; detachment of the Lone Star Coast Guard (12), Captain W D Davis; and a detachment of the Davis Guards, Captain F A Odlam, were ordered to proceed by the steamer General Rusk to Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, at 12 PM on 13 March, 1861, and arrived on 15 March, 1861.

Note: E B Nichols, commissioner of the State of Texas, was ordered to Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, at 12 PM on 13 March, 1861, and the Liberty Volunteers in the afternoon on 21 March, 1861. The Lone Star Rifles was stationed at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, under the command of Captain W H Redwood, and the Capatin Donnelly's Company at Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, on 6 April, 1861, and the Gentry Volunteers was asigned to a battalion of infantry at Houston, Harris County, Texas, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel W H Rogers and Major A Daley, on 24 April, 1861.

Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, 23 May, 1861: The Milam Rifles, the Lone Star Coast Guards, and the Donelson's Rangers, under the command of Captains J R Proudfoot, A A Tomlinson, and J Donelson, were stationed at Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, on 23 May, 1861.

Surrender of Steamer Star of the West, 18 April, 1861

Colonel E Van Dorn, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was stationed at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 13 April, 1861, and was ordered to Indianola, Calhoun County, Texas, on 14 April, 1861, and arrived at Brashier (Morgan) City, on Lake Palourde, Mary Parish, Louisiana, on 15 April, 1861. He arrived by the steamer Matagorda to Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, in the evening on 16 April, 1861.

Surrender of steamer Star of the West, in the vicinity of Pass Cavallo, between Matagorda Bay & the Gulf of Mexico, 17-18 April, 1861: Detachments of the Wigfall Guards (29), the Island City Rifles (29), and the Galveston Arillery (13), under the command of Captains J McGrath, J Muller, and H Van Bruen, were stationed at Galveston, Galveston, texas, on 16 April, 1861, and were ordered to proceed by the steamer Matagorda to Indianola, Calhoun County, Texas, under the command of Colonel E Van Dorn, cavalry, Confederate States Army, at 5 AM on 17 April, 1861, and arrived at Indianola, Calhoun County, Texas, at 5 PM the same day. The detachments of the Wigfall Guards, the Island City Rifles , and the Galveston Arillery, embarked on the steamer General Rusk at Saluria, eastern end of Matagorda Island, Calhoun County, Texas, on 17 April, 1861, and Captain E Howe surrendered the steamer Star of the West to Colonel E Van Dorn, cavalry, Confederate States Army, in the vicinity of Pass Cavallo, between Matagorda Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, in the morning on 18 April, 1861.

Vicinity of Pass Cavallo, between Matagorda Bay & the Gulf of Mexico, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, 18-20 April, 1861: The steamer Star of the West was ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 18 April, 1861, and arrived by the Mississippi River in the evening on 20 April, 1861.

Surrender of United States Troops, Saluria, 25 April, 1861

Colonel E Van Dorn, cavalry, Confederate States Army, arrived at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 21 April, 1861, and was stationed at Saluria, eastern end of Matagorda Island, Calhoun County, Texas, in the morning on 25 April, 1861.

San Antonio, Bexar County, to Victoria, Victoria County, Texas, 22 April, 1861: The 1st Texas Mounted Riflemen, Companies A (75), B (69), D (72), E (75), H (80), and I (80), under the command of Captains J H Fry (Colorado County), W A Pitts (Guadolupe County), W G Tobin (Bexar County), G M Nelson (Bexar County), M M Boggess (Henderson County), and T H Ashby (Gonzales County), and the 1st Texas Light Artillery, Company A, Captain W Edgar (56), were ordered to rendezvous at Victoria, Victoria County, Texas, under the command of Colonel H E McCulloch, 1st Texas Mounted Riflemen, in the morning on 22 April, 1861, and were not present at the surrender of Major C C Sibley, 3rd United States Infantry, at Saluria, Calhoun County, Texas, in the morning on 25 April, 1861.

Troops rendezvoused at Victoria, Victoria County, Texas, 23 & 24 April, 1861: Captain W J Herbert (Colorado County); Captain J C Upton (Colorado County); Halletsville Blues, Captain (?) Searcy (Hallettsville, Lavaca County); Davis Guards, Captain A J Scarborough (Brushy Creek, Lavaca County); Dewitt Rifles, Captain W R Friend (Dewitt County); Lockhart Volunteers, Captain S J P McDowell (Lockhart, Caldwell County); Captain A C Horton (Matagorda County); E A Pearson (Matagorda County); (?) Gordon (Matagorda County); Captain J G Hampton (Victoria, Victoria County); Richmond Mounted Riflemen, Captain J T Holt (Richmond, Fort Bend County); Gonzales Rifles, Captain I G Jones, (Gonzales County); Captain (?) Harris (Gonzales County); Captain B Williams (Lavaca County); Captain (?) Fulkrod (Goliad County); Captain (?) Kyle (Hays County); Indianola Guards, Captain D M Stapp (Indianola, Calhoun County); Captain A H Phillips, Jr. ((Port) Lavaca, Calhoun County); Captain G P Finlay, ((Port) Lavaca, Calhoun County); Captain C L Owen (Texana, Jackson County); Captain (?) Barkley (Fayette County); Captain (?) York (Rocky Creek)

Note: Captains I G Jones and (?) Harris were ordered to rendezvous at Victoria, Victoria County, Texas, under the command of Colonel C C Dewitt, between 23 and 24 April, 1861.

Surrender of steamer Fashion at Indianola, Calhoun County, Texas, 24 April, 1861: The Texas State Troops, under the command of Captains A H Phillips, Jr., G P Finlay, (?) Searcy, J C Upton, and E A Pearson embarked on the steamer Mobile at (Port) Lavaca, Calhoun County, Texas, on 24 April, 1861, and was ordered to Indianola, Calhoun County, Texas, the same day. The Texas State Troops, under the command of Captains A H Phillips, Jr., G P Finlay, (?) Searcy, J C Upton, and E A Pearson, and the Indianola Guards, under the command of Captain D M Stapp, captured the steamer Fashion at Indianola, Calhoun County, Texas, on 24 April, 1861.

Steamer Mobile: Captain A H Phillips, Jr. (75); Captain G P Finlay (25); Captain (?) Searcy (86); Captain J C Upton (60); Captain E A Pearson (28)

Steamer Fashion: Gonzales Rifles, Captain I G Jones (61); Captain A C Horton (44); Captain B Williams (31)

Note: The Texas State Troops, under the command of Captains W J Herbert (80), A J Scarborough, Davis Guards; W R Friend, Dewitt Rifles; S J P McDowell (70); (?) Gordon; J T Holt, Richmond Mounted Riflemen; (?) Harris; (?) Fulkrod; (?) Kyle; and (?) Barkley did not participate in the surrender of the detachments of the 1st, 3rd, and 8th United States infantry, under the command of Major C C Sibley, 3rd United States infantry, in the vicinity of Pass Cavallo, between Matagorda Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, opposite Saluria, eastern end of Matagorda Island, Calhoun County, Texas, morning on 25 April, 1861.

Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, to Pass Cavello, between Matagorda Bay & the Gulf of Mexico, 25 April, 1861: The Galveston Rifles (50) and the Lone Star Rifles (64), under the command of Captains N B Yard and A C McKeen, were ordered to proceed on the steamer General Rusk to Indianola, Calhoun County, Texas, under the command of Colonel E B Nichols, commissioner to the State of Texas, at 1 AM on 25 April, 1861, and arrived at Pass Cavallo, between Matagorda Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, at 2 PM the same day.

Steamer United States: Indianola Guards, Captain D M Stapp (82); Captain J G Hampton (52); Captain C L Owen (25)

Expedition to Forts Washita, Arbuckle & Cobb, 2 May, 1861

A detachment of three hundred Texas State Troops, under the command of Colonel W C Young, Provisional Army of Texas, arrived at the north bank of the Red River, three miles north of Preston, Grayson County, Texas, in the afternoon on 2 May, 1861.

Fort Washita, one & a half miles east of the Washita River, Indian Territory, 2 & 3 May, 1861: A detachment of twenty-five Texas State Troops, under the command of First (Second) Lieutenant (?) Bass, was ordered to Fort Washita, one and a half miles east of the Washita River, Indian Territory, in the evening on the 2 May, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry). A detachment of five-hundred and thirty Texas State Troops, under the command of Colonel W C Young, Provisional Army of Texas, was ordered at Fort Washita, one and a half miles east of the Washita River, Indian Territory, arrived in the afternoon on 3 May, 1861.

Note: Colonel W C Young's Texas State Troops was organised on the north bank of the Red River, three miles north of Preston, Grayson County, Texas, in the morning on 3 May, 1861, and a detachment of three hundred Texas State Troops arrived on 5 May, 1861.

Colonel W C Young's Texas State Troops: Colonel W C Young, Lieutenant Colonel J W Throckmorton, Major H F Young; Lamar Rifles (Paris, Lamar County), Captain S B Maxey; Davis Light Infantry (Dallas County), Captain (?) Flynn; White Rock Rifles (WhiteRock, fannin County), Captain (?) Daniel; Captain J W Throckmorton (McKinney, Collin County); Independent Spy Company (Collin County), Captain A Johnson; Captain H P Mabry (Jefferson County); Texas Hunters (Harrison County), Captain T W Winston (Jonesville, Harrison County); Captain O G Welch (Denton County)

Note: A company of Texas State Troops (100), under the command of Captain J W Throckmorton, was ordered to the north bank of the Red River, three miles north of Preston, Grayson County, Texas, at 12 PM on 1 May, 1861, and the Lamar Rifles (104), under the command of Captain S B Maxey, on 4 May, 1861. An Independent Spy Company, Texas State Troops, under the command of Captain A Johnson, was ordered to Fort Arbuckle, on the junction of Wild Horse Creek and the Washita River, Indian Territory, in the morning on 4 May, 1861, and a company of Texas State Troops (Jefferson County), under the command of Captain H P Mabry, was stationed at Fort Washita, one and a half miles east of the Washita River, Indian Territory, on the 25 May, 1861.

Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, Third Texas Cavalry, Companies A & G, 13 June, 1861: The 3rd Texas Cavalry or South Kansas Texas Cavalry, Companies A and G, under the command of Captains T W Winston and H P Mabry, were mustered in Confederate service at Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, on 13 June, 1861.

Note: The 3rd Texas Cavalry, under the command of Colonel E B Greer, was ordered to Fort Smith, on the east bank of the Arkansas River, six miles southwest of Van Buren, Crawford County, Arkansas, on 9 July, 1861, and arrived on 27 July, 1861.

Fort Arbuckle, on the junction of Wild Horse Creek & the Washita River, Indian Territory, 4 May, 1861: A detachment of five hundred and thirty Texas State Troops, under the command of Colonel W C Young, Provisional Army of Texas, was ordered to Fort Arbuckle, on the junction of Wild Horse Creek and the Washita River, Indian Territory, in the morning on 4 May, 1861.

Third Texas State Troops: Colonel W C Young, Lieutenant Colonel (?), Major J W Mayrant; Company A, Captain J J Diamond (Cooke County); Company B, Captain W C Twitty (Gainesville, Cooke County); Company C, Captain G R Reeves (Grayson County); Company D, Captain L G Harman (Tarrant, Hopkins County); Company E, Captain J C Burks (Red River County); Company F, Captain A J Nicholson (Honey Grove, Fannin County); Company G, Captain J M Bounds (Collin County); Company H, Captain M H Cansler (Greenville, Hunt County); Company I, Captain J P Hill (Titus County); Company K, Captain T Wallis (Bowie County)

Note: The 3rd Texas State Troops was assigned as cavalry on 25 July, 1861, and Captain J W Throckmorton, Texas State Troops, was appointed captain, 6th Texas Cavalry, Company K, at Dallas, Dallas County, Texas, on 21 September, 1861.

Third Texas State Troops, Company B, 25 May, 1861: The 3rd Texas State Troops, Company B, was mustered in state service as infantry at Gainesville , Cook County, Texas, on 25 May, 1861.

Third Texas State Troops, Company D, 27 May, 1861: The 3rd Texas State Troops, Company D, was mustered in state service as infantry at Tarrant, Hopkins County, Texas, on 27 May, 1861.

Third Texas State Troops, Company F, 17 June, 1861: The 3rd Texas State Troops, Company F, was mustered in state service as infantry at Honey Grove, Fannin County, Texas, on 17 June, 1861.

Third Texas State Troops, Company H, 17 June & 25 July, 1861: The 3rd Texas State Troops, Company H, under the command of Captain M H Casler, was mustered in state service as infantry at Greenville, Hunt County, Texas, on 17 June, 1861, and Private C H Featherston, 3rd Texas State Troops, Company H, was appointed captain, 3rd Texas State Troops, Company H, on 24 August, 1861.

Note: The 3rd Texas State Troops (100), Company A, under the command of Captain J J Diamond, was ordered to Fort Cobb, on the west side of Pond (Cobb) Creek, Indian Territory, Texas, on 18 May, 1861, and arrived on 2 June, 1861. The 3rd Texas State Troops (110), Company D, under the command of Captain L G Harman, was ordered to Fort Cobb, on the west side of Pond (Cobb) Creek, Indian Territory, Texas, on 15 June, 1861, and Company G, under the command of Captain J M Bounds, to Fort Arbuckle, on the junction of Wild Horse Creek and the Washita River, Indian Territory, on 25 June, 1861.

Troops stationed at Fort Cobb, on the west side of Pond (Cobb) Creek, Indian Territory, 3 July, 1861: Captain J J Diamond, 3rd Texas State Troops, Company A; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company A, First Lieutenant J D Young; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company B, Captain W C Twitty; Texas State Troops, Independent Company, Captain J W Throckmorton

Note: The 3rd Texas State Troops, Company A, was ordered to Fort Cobb, on the west side of Pond (Cobb) Creek, Indian Territory, on 18 May, 1861, and was stationed at Fort Cobb, on the west side of Pond (Cobb) Creek, Indian Territory, on 4 June, 1861. Colonel W C Young, 3rd Texas State Troops, and Captain J W Throckmorton, Texas State Troops, were stationed at Fort Smith, on the east bank of the Arkansas River, six miles southwest of Van Buren, Crawford County, Arkansas, on 12 June, 1861, and were ordered to Sherman, Grayson County, Texas, on 13 June, 1861. Fort Cobb, on the west side of Pond (Cobb) Creek, Indian Territory, arrived in the morning on 5 July, 1861.

Troops stationed at Fort Arbuckle, on the junction of Wild Horse Creek and the Washita River, (Chickasaw Nation) Indian Territory, 3 July, 1861: Captain L G Harman, 3rd Texas State Troops, Company D; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company D (101), First Lieutenant W W Dawson; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company F, Captain A J Nicholson; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company H, Captain M H Cansler

Note: The 3rd Texas State Troops, Company G, under the command of Captain J M Bounds, was stationed at Fort Arbuckle, on the junction of Wild Horse Creek and the Washita River, (Chickasaw Nation) Indian Territory, on 17 July, 1861.

Troops stationed at Fort Washita, one & a half miles east of the Washita River, Indian Territory, 3 July, 1861: Captain G R Reeves, 3rd Texas State Troops, Company C; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company C, First Lieutenant W N Mayrant; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company E, Captain J C Burks; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company G, Captain J M Bounds; 3rd Texas State Troops, Company I, Captain J R Hill

Note: The 3rd Texas State Troops, Company E, was stationed in the vicinity of Clarksville, Red River County, Texas, in the evning on 20 June, 1861, and Company K, arrived at Fort Washita, one and a half miles east of the Washita River, Indian Territory, 9 July, 1861.

Troops stationed at Leon Creek, 9 May, 1861

Colonel E Van Dorn, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was stationed on the Castroville Road, on the west bank of Leon Creek, seven miles west of San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 9 May, 1861, and arrived at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, at 6 AM on 10 May, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Infantry).

Detachment of 1st Texas Mounted Rifles: Colonel H E McCulloch; Company A, Captains J H Fry; Company B, Captain W A Pitts; Company D, Captain W G Tobin; Company E, Captain G M Nelson, Company H, Captain M M Boggess; Company I, Captain T H Ashby

Detachment of Colonel J S Ford's Regiment, Texas State Troops: Lieutenant Colonel J R Baylor; Company A, Captain P Hardeman; Company B, Captain C L Pyron; Company D, Captain J Walker

Note: The 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Companies A, B, and D, were mustered in Confederate service at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 23 May, 1861.

Independent Volunteers, Texas State Troops: Dallas Light Artillery, acting as cavalry, Captain J J Good(e) (Dallas County); First Lieutenant J Paul (Medina County); Captain J E Dwyer (San Antonio, Bexar County)

1st Texas Light Artillery, Company A: Captain W Edgar

Note: The 1st Texas Light Artillery, Company A, was mustered in Confederate service for one year at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 20 April, 1861.

Section of 1st Texas Light Artillery, Company B: Captain T T Teel

Note: The 1st Texas Light Artillery, Company B, was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Fort Clark, in the vicinity of Las Moras Springs, Kinney County, Texas, on 1 May, 1861, and was stationed at Fort Clark, in the vicinity of Las Moras Springs, Kinney County, Texas, on 16 May, 1861.

San Antonio (City) Battalion Infantry, Texas State Troops: Lieutenant Colonel J Duff, Major J M Carolan; Captain W Prescott; Captain J H Kampmann; Captain A Navarro; Captain J A Wilcox; Captain S A Maverick

Troops surrendered at Adams' Hill, in the vicinity of San Lucas Springs, Bexar County, Texas, 9 May, 1861: 8th United States Infantry, Company B, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel & Captain I V D Reeve; 8th United States Infantry, Company E, Second Lieutenant R T Frank; 8th United States Infantry, Company F, First Lieutenant Z R Bliss; 8th United States Infantry, Company H, Captain E D Blake; 8th United States Infantry, Company I, Second Lieutenant L Peck; 8th United States Infantry, Company K, Second Lieutenant H M Lazelle; Second Lieutenant J Van Horn, 8th United States Infantry, Company G; Second Lieutenant W G Jones, 8th United States Infantry, Company A; First Lieutenant H W Freedley, 3rd United States Infantry, Company K

Garrison Duty, 12 March, 1861

Camp Verde, on the north bank of Verde Creek, six miles southwest of Center Point, Kerr County, Texas: Detachment of twenty-five Texas State Troops (Medina County), First Lieutenant J Paul

Fort Mason, one mile southwest of Comanche Creek, on Post Oak Hill, Mason County, Texas: Detachment of twenty Texas state Troops (Medina County), First Lieutenant B E Benton

Camp Wood, three miles south of Camp Wood Creek, Real County, Texas: Detachment of twenty-five Texas State Troops, First Lieutenant W Adams

Fort Inge, on the west bank of the Leona River, one mile south of Uvalde, Uvalde County, Texas: Detachment of ten Texas State Troops, First Lieutenant W Adams

Fort Duncan, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, two miles north of Eagle Pass, Maverick County; Fort Clark, in the vicinity of Las Moras Springs, Kinney County; Fort Lancaster, on the west bank of Live Oak Creek, above the Pecos River, Crockett County; & Camp Hudson, on the west bank of the Devils River, on the San Antonio & El Paso Road, Kinney County, Texas: Detachment of seventy-five Texas state Troops, Captain T T Teel

Fort Davis, on the San Antonio & El Paso Road, in the vicinity of Limpia Creek, Jeff Davis County, Texas: Detachment of Texas State Troops, Second Lieutenant S W McAllister

First Texas Mounted Rifles, 4 March, 1861

The 1st Texas Mounted Rifles was accepted in Confederate service at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 20 April, 1861.

Organisation of 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, 20 April-15 June, 1861: Colonel H E McCulloch, Lieutenant Colonel T C Frost, Major E Burleson, Jr.; Company A, Captain J H Fry, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 22 April, 1861, dated 16 April, 1861; Company B, Captain W A Pitts, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 20 April, 1861, dated 16 April, 1861; Company C, Captain J B Barry, mustered in at Camp Cooper, on Clear Fork of the Brazos River, one mile north of South Bend, Young County, Texas, 7 May, 1861; Company D, Captain W G Tobin, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 20 April, 1861, dated 19 April, 1861; Company E, Captain G H Nelson, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 20 April, 1861; Company F, Captain S G Davidson, mustered in at Fort Chadbourne, on Oak Creek, Tom Green (Coke) County, Texas, 9 May, 1861; Company G, Captain T C Frost, mustered in at Camp Colorado, on Jim Ned Creek, Coleman County, Texas, 12 May, 1861; Company H, Captain M M Boggess, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 20 April, 1861, dated 16 April, 1861; Company I, Captain T H Ashby, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 20 April, 1861; Company K, Captain M Webb, mustered in at Hubbard Creek, Callahan, Shackelford, and Stephens Counties, Texas, 15 June, 1861

Note: Captain T C Frost, 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, Company D, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, on 6 May, 1861, and First Lieutenant J M Homsley, 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, was appointed captain, 1st texas Mounted Rifles, Company D, on 6 May, 1861.

Distribution of troops, Camp Jackson, on the junction of the Red & Big Witchita Rivers, to Camp Concho, the junction of the North & Main Concho Rivers, in the vicinity of Angela(o), Tom Green County, Texas, 14 June, 1861: The 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, Companies A and E, were stationed at Camp Concho, on the junction of the North and Main Concho Rivers, in the vicinity of Angela(o), Tom Green County, Texas; Company B at Camp Colorado, on Jim Ned Creek, Coleman County, Texas, under the command of Colonel H E McCulloch and Major E Burleson, Jr., on 10 June, 1861; Company C at Camp Cooper, on Clear Fork of the Brazos River, one mile north of South Bend, Young County, Texas, on 7 May, 1861; Companies D and F at Fort Chadbourne, on Oak Creek, Tom Green (Coke) County, Texas, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel T C Frost, on 3 July, 1861; Companies G, I, and K at Camp Jackson, on the junction of the Red and Big Witchita Rivers, under the command of Major E Burleson, Jr., under the command of Colonel H E McCulloch and Major E Burleson, Jr., on 14 July, 1861; and Company H at Fort Phantom Hill, on the east side of Clear Fork of the Brazos River, five miles north of Lake Phantom Hill, Jones County, Texas, on 1 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, Companies A, B, D, E, H, and I, were stationed at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 23 April, 1861, and were ordered between the junction of the North and Main Concho Rivers, in the vicinity of Angela(o), Tom Green County, Texas, and the junction of the Red and Big Witchita Rivers on 28 May, 1861. The 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, Companies A, B, D, E, H, and I, were stationed at Fredericksburg, Gillespie County, Texas, on 1 June, 1861, and Companies A, D, and E in the vicinity of Fort Mason, one mile southwest of Comanche Creek, on Post Oak Hill, Mason County, Texas, on 4 June, 1861. The 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, Companies B, G, H, and I, were stationed at Camp Colorado, on Jim Ned Creek, Coleman County, Texas, under the command of Colonel H E McCulloch and Major E Burleson, Jr., on 10 June, 1861, and a detachment of the 1st Texas Mounted Rifles, Company I, under the command of Second Lieutenant J P Grundy, was ordered to the Little Witicha River on 7 July, 861.

Second Texas Mounted Rifles, 23 May, 1861

The 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles was accepted in Confederate service at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 23 May, 1861.

Organisation of 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, 23 May-23 September, 1861: Colonel J S Ford, Lieutenant Colonel J R Baylor, Major E Waller; Company A, Captain P Hardeman, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 23 May, 1861; Company B, Captain C L Pyron, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 23 May, 1861; Company C, Captain W C Adams, mustered in at Fort Clark, in the vicinity of Las Moras Springs, Kinney County, Texas, 25 June, 1861; Company D, Captain J Walker, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 23 May, 1861; Company E, Captain I C Stafford, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 23 May, 1861; Company F, Walter P Lane's Rangers, Captain S J Richardson, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 23 May, 1861; Company G, Captain M Nolan, mustered in at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 23 May, 1861; Company H, Captain H A Hamner, mustered in at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, 23 May, 1861; Company I, Captain J Littleton, mustered in at Camp Carricitos, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of Carricitos, Cameron County, Texas, 16 June, 1861; Company K, Captain J Donelson, mustered in at Fort Brown, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, half a mile southeast of Brownsville, Cameron County, Texas, 23 September, 1861

Note: Colonel J R Baylor, Provisional Army of Texas, arrived at San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas, on 7 May, 1861.

Distribution of troops, Fort Inge, on the west bank of the Leona River, one mile south of Uvalde, Uvalde County, to Fort Bliss, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of McGoffinsville, El Paso County, Texas, 25 May, 1861: The 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Companies A and H; Captain S W McAllister's (Infantry) Company; and the 1st Texas Light Artillery, Company B, under the command of Major E Waller, 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, were ordered to Fort Bliss, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of McGoffinsville, El Paso County, Texas, on 25 May, 1861; the 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Company B, to Fort Stockton, in the vicinity of Comanche Springs, McLennan County, Texas, on 2 June, 1861; the 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Company C, were stationed at Fort Lancaster, on the west bank of Live Oak Creek, above the Pecos River, Crockett County, Texas, on 25 June, 1861; the 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Company D, were ordered to Fort Davis, on the San Antonio & El Paso Road, in the vicinity of Limpia Creek, Jeff Davis County, Texas; the 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Company E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J R Baylor, to Fort Clark, in the vicinity of Las Moras Springs, Kinney County, Texas; and the 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Company F, to Camp Wood, on the Nueces River, three miles south of Camp Wood Creek, Real County, Texas, on 2 June, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Companies A, B, D, E, F, and H, and under the 1st Texas Light Artillery, Company B, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel J R Baylor, 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, were stationed at 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, on 1 June, 1861, and were ordered to Fort Bliss, on the east bank of the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of McGoffinsville, El Paso County; Fort Stockton, in the vicinity of Comanche Springs, McLennan County; Fort Davis, on the San Antonio & El Paso Road, in the vicinity of Limpia Creek, Jeff Davis County; Fort Clark, in the vicinity of Las Moras Springs, Kinney County; and Camp Wood, on the Nueces River, three miles south of Camp Wood Creek, Real County, Texas, on 2 June, 1861.

Carrizo Springs, Dimmit County, to Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Company K, 28 May, 1861: The 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Company K, was stationed at Carrizo Springs, Dimmit County, Texas, on 27 May, 1861, and was ordered to Ringgold Barracks, in the vicinity of Davis Landing, on the Rio Grande River, half a mile east of Rio Grande City, Starr County, Texas, on 28 May, 1861.

Note: The 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles, Company I, was stationed at Camp Carricitos, on the east side of the Rio Grande River, in the vicinity of Carricitos, Cameron County, Texas, on 11 June, 1861, and Company G at Corpus Christi, Nueces County, Texas, on 17 June, 1861.

Sources

"This company, which is made up of half Texans and half Algerians, from our visa-a-vis neighboring town, has been mustered into Confederate service and leaves for Virginia this morning. They form a part of the Texas battalion composed of five companies, to which are already on their way to Virginia. The Palmer Guards form the 3rd Company C; and D and E are expected daily from Jefferson, Texas and will soon follow."

The Daily Picayune, 23 May, 1861 - Departure of the Palmer Guards

"The Marshall Guards and the Star Rifles, the former from Harrison County, Texas, and the latter from Cass County, in the same state, have arrived here in the steamer Texas, Captain Stinde, en route for Virginia."

The New Orleans Daily Delta, 4 June, 1861 - Troops from Texas

"The steamer Texas, Capt. Stinde, which arrived yesterday evening from Shreveport, brought down the Reagan Guards and the Texas Guards, from Anderson County, Texas."

The New Orleans Daily Delta, 9 July, 1861 - More troops

"We received orders to proceed to Richmond, where we landed on June 20, 1861. About the 20th day of July we were ordered to Manassas. On the way to Manassas we were in a railroad wreck. The Kentucky troops lost 32 men killed and wounded, but we escaped without the loss of a man. We did not get into battle at Manassas, but here we saw the first horrors of war. We camped there two or three days and our men went over the battlefield and saw the graves of the soldiers and the destruction of the battle. From here we were ordered to Evansport on the Potomac River, and remained in camp till March, 1862."

Reminiscences of the boys in grey, 1861-65: Private J. P. O’Rear, 1st Texas Infantry, Company D

"By late July eight of these independent companies had journeyed to Richmond and were organised as the Texas Battalion. The Confederate government placed Louis T Wigfall, a prominent Texas politician and ardent secessionist, in command."

Texas flags, by Robert Maberry

"He enlisted in a company that was organised for service in Virginia and which later became one of the seven companies forming the battalion commanded by Colonel Louis Wigfall. Upon the formal organisation of the First Texas Regiment the company of which Captain Wootters was a member became Company I of that regiment, which became part of Hood's Texas Brigade, which gained fame as on of the most gallant and dashing of the Confederate forces in the long and weary conflict between the north and south."

A history of Texas and Texans, by Frank W Johnson, a leader in the Texas revolution

First Texas Regiment, by George T Todd with notes and introduction by Harold B Simpson

Tyler to Sharpsburg, Robert H, and William H. Gaston, their war letters, 1861-1862, by Robert H Gaston and William H Gaston

"The twelve companies that composed the First Texas Infantry may be said to have straggled to Virginia, where, in the early months of 1861, it was believed the one decisive battle ot the war would be fought. They went singly, in couples, and in triplets; but although all arrived in Richmond by June 1, 1861, they were not ordered to the front until July 21, the day the first battle on the fields of Manassas was fought, and so did not reach the Southern army in time to take part in that engagement."

Hood's Texas brigade, its marches, its battles, its achievements, by J B Polley

"The different companies composing the 1st Texas regiment had gone to Virginia separately, and been organised into a regiment, under the command of Colonel Lewis T Wigfall, Lieutenant Colonel Hugh McLeod, and Major A T Rainey."

"The 1st Texas had gone to Virginia at their own expense, without waiting for orders, were organised, and participated actively in the battle of Manassas."

The Confederate capital and Hood's Texas Brigade, by Angelina V Winkler

Galveston Weekly News, 26 February, 1861 - Military

Forgotten Texas leader: Hugh McLeod and the Texan Santa Fe Expedition, by Paul N Spellman

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events, Volume 68, Serial No.80: Record of events for First Texas Infantry, May 1861-August 1864, edited by James B Hewett

Hoods Texas brigade: Lee's Grenadier Guard, by Colonel Harold B Simpson

The boys in grey: Our grandparents from Kickapoo, Texas, First Texas Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company H, Confederate States Army, 1861-1865, by Helen Anderson

History of Company M, First Texas Volunteer Infantry: Hood's brigade, Longstreet's Corps, Army of the Confederate States of America, by D H Hamilton

Notes

The 1st Texas Infantry was organised at Camp Wigfall, J J Wilcoxen's Farm, in the vicinity of the intersection of Union Mills and Hooe's Hill Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, on 28 August, 1861.

Mustered in one year & war, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, & Camp Davis, Fairgrounds, on Fifth Street, two miles west of Lynchburg, Virginia, 16, 19, & 28 May; 6 & 25 June; 10 July; & 9 August, 1861: The 1st Texas Infantry, Companies A and B, were mustered in Confederate service for one year at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by First Lieutenant C W Phifer, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 16 May, 1861; Company C, on 19 May, 1861; Company F for one year by Junior Second Lieutenant N W Pope, 4th Louisana Infantry, Company C, on 28 May, 1861; Companies D and E for one year on 6 June, 1861; Company K (1st) for the war at Camp Davis, Fairgrounds, on Fifth Street, two miles west of Lynchburg, Virginia, by Major & Assistant Adjutant General H L Clay, Confederate States Army, on 25 June, 1861; Companies G and H for the war at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by Second Lieutenant J G Devereux, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, Company I, on 10 July, 1861; and Company I by First Lieutenant R Agar, 1st Louisiana Heavy Artillery, Company H, on 9 August, 1861.

Note: H L Clay was appointed major and assistant adjutant general, Confederate States Army, at Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 16 March, 1861, and was assigned to Lieutenant Colonel E K Smith, cavalry, Confederate States Army, by Special Orders No.34, Paragraph II, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 24 April, 1861 (See the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah). Major & Assistant Adjutant General H L Clay, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command Camp Davis, Fairgrounds, on Fifth Street, two miles west of Lynchburg, Virginia, on 24 June, 1861, and was assigned to Brigadier General E K Smith, Confederate States Army, by Special Orders No.192, Paragraph II, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 28 October, 1861. First Lieutenant C W Phifer, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was assigned to recruiting duty at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, by Special Orders No.16, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 8 April, 1861, and N W Pope was appointed junior second lieutenant, 4th Louisana Infantry, Company C, under the command of Captain H M Favrot, 4th Louisana Infantry, Company C, on 25 May, 1861.

Jefferson, Marion County, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, Company, A, 3 May, 1861: The Marion Rifles (111) arrived by the steamer P E Bonford on the Mississippi River at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, via Shreveport, Caddo Parish, and Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, on 3 May, 1861.

Note: The Marion Rifles was stationed at Camp Walker, Metairie Racecourse, Metairie, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, under the command of Brigadier General E L Tracy, First Brigade, First Division, Louisiana State Troops, on 3 May, 1861, and Second Lieutenant H H Black, Marion Rifles, was appointed captain, Marion Rifles, on 16 May, 1861.

Livingston, Polk Counties, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, Company B, 29 April & 1 May, 1861: The Livingston Guards was ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 29 April, 1861, and arrived at Liberty, Liberty County, Texas, on 1 May, 1861.

Harris County, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, Company C, 19 May, 1861: The Palmer Guards, under the command of Second Lieutenant H E Decatur, arrived by steamer on the Mississippi River at Algiers, opposite New Orleans, Orleans Parish, via Shreveport, Caddo Parish, and Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, in May 1861.

Note: A G Dickinson was appointed captain, Palmer Guards, at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 19 May, 1861, and the Marion Rifles, the Livingston Guards, and the Palmer Guards were ordered to Richmond, Virginia, by Special Orders No.53, Paragraph II, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 18 May, 1861.

New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, to Richmond, Virginia, Companies A & B, 21-24 May, 1861: The Marion Rifles and the Livingston Guards were ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861, and arrived by the Danville & Richmond Railroad via Grand Junction, Fayette and Hardeman Counties; Knoxville, Knox County; and Bristol, Sullivan County, Tennessee, and Lynchburg, Virginia, on 24 May, 1861.

Note: The 1st Texas Battalion Infantry, Companies A and B, were stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, Bush Hill, on the Bush Hill Plank Road, northwest of Richmond, Virginia, on 27 May, 1861.

New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, to Richmond, Virginia, Company C, 23 May-11 June, 1861: The Palmer Guards was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the morning on 23 May, 1861, and arrived by the Western & Atlantic Railroad at Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, via Pensacola, Escambia County, Florida, in the morning on 7 June, 1861. The company was stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, Bush Hill, on the Bush Hill Plank Road, northwest of Richmond, Virginia, on 11 June, 1861.

Linden, Cass County, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, Company D, 27 May-3 June, 1861: The Star Rifles was ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 27 May, 1861, and arrived by the steamer Fleta on the Red River at Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, via Jefferson, Marion County, Texas, on 30 May, 1861. The company was accompanied by the Marshall Guards and was ordered to proceed by the steamer Texas on the Red River to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, at 12 AM on 31 May, 1861. The company arrived by the Mississippi River at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, via Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, on 3 June, 1861.

Marshall, Harrison County, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, Companiy E, 28 May-3 June, 1861: The Marshall Guards was ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, in the morning on 28 May, 1861, and arrived at Swanson's Landing, Harrison County, Texas, the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the steamer Fleta on the Big Cypress Bayou to Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, on 30 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Star Rifles. The company arrived at Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, in the evening the same day and was ordered to proceed by the steamer Texas on the Red River to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, at 12 AM on 31 May, 1861. The company arrived by the Mississippi River at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, via Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, on 3 June, 1861.

Woodville, Tyler County, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, & Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, Bush Hill, on the Bush Hill Plank Road, northwest of Richmond, Virginia, Company F, 23 June-23 July, 1861: The Woodville Rifles was ordered to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on (?) May, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, Bush Hill, on the Bush Hill Plank Road, northwest of Richmond, Virginia, between 23 June and 23 July, 1861.

New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, to Amite City, Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, Companies D & E, 10 June, 1861: The Star Rifles and the Marshall Guards were ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Amite City, Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana, on 10 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pulaski, one mile east of the Tangipahoa River, Amite City, St Helena (Tangipahoa) Parish, Louisiana, the same day.

One mile east of the Tangipahoa River, Amite City, St Helena (Tangipahoa) Parish, Louisiana, to Richmond, Virginia, Companies D & E, 18-20 June, 1861: The Star Rifles and the Marshall Guards were ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the morning on 18 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad via Grand Junction, Fayette and Hardeman Counties; Knoxville, Knox County; and Bristol, Sullivan County, Tennessee, and Lynchburg, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

Palestine, Anderson County, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, Companies G & H, 4-8 July, 1861: The Reagan Guards arrived at Shrevesport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana, via Henderson, Rusk County, Texas, at 11 AM on 4 July, 1861, and the Texas Guards on 5 July, 1861. The Reagan Guards and the Texas Guards were ordered to proceed by the steamer Texas on the Red River to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, the same day and arrived on Mississippi River via Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana, in the evening on 8 July, 1861.

New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, to Richmond, Virginia, Companies G & H, 10-19 July, 1861: The Reagan Guards and the Texas Guards were ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, at 3 PM on 10 July, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad via Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi; Grand Junction, Fayette and Hardeman Counties, and Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee, and Lynchburg, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861.

Note: The Texas Guards was stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, Bush Hill, on the Bush Hill Plank Road, northwest of Richmond, Virginia, between 19 July and 2 August, 1861.

Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, Bush Hill, on the Bush Hill Plank Road, northwest of Richmond, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 3 August, 1861: The 1st Texas Battalion Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and H, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel L T Wigfall, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.241, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Virginia, on 3 August, 1861.

Note: The 1st Texas Battalion Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel L T Wigfall, was stationed at Camp Wigfall, J J Wilcoxen's Farm, in the vicinity of the intersection of Union Mills and Hooe's Hill Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, on 3 August, 1861.

Crockett, Houston County, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, Company I, 17 July-9 August, 1861: The Crockett Southrons was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861.

Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, to New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, Company L, 2-16 August, 1861: The Lone Star Rifles was ordered to Richmond, Virginia, on 2 August, 1861, and arrived by steamer on the Mississippi River at New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, on 14 August, 1861. The company was stationed at City Hotel, on the Corner of Camp and Common Streets, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, between 14 and 15 August, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the morning on 16 August, 1861.

1st Texas Infantry, Company K (2nd), 16 April, 1862: The Texas Invincibles was ordered to proceed by the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad to Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.228, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 19 November, 1861, and was temporarily assigned to the 1st Texas Infantry, Company K (2nd), by Special Orders No.87, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Virginia, on 16 April, 1862.

1st Texas Infantry, Company M, 10 August, 1862: The Sumter Light infantry was ordered to proceed by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad to Richmond, Virginia, in the afternoon on 5 May, 1862, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad via Jackson, Hinds County, Mississippi; Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee; and Lynchburg, Virginia, on 31 May, 1862. The company was assigned to the 1st Texas Infantry, Company M, at Camp Wigfall, J J Wilcoxen's Farm, in the vicinity of the intersection of Union Mills and Hooe's Hill Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, on 10 August, 1862.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 1st Texas Infantry, under the command of Colonel F S Bass, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

The 1st Texas Infantry, the 4th Texas Infantry, the 5th Texas Infantry, the 5th Alabama Battalion Infantry, and the 18th Georgia Infantry were assigned to Brigadier General L T Wigfall, Confederate States Army, at Dumfries, Prince William County, Virginia, on 14 January, 1862 (See the 5th Alabama Battalion Infantry).