The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Evans' Demi Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Fourth Sergeant B B Breazeale, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company J

Fourth Sergeant B B Breazeale, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company J

Fourth South Carolina Infantry

Mustered in Confederate service for one year 7 June, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 14 July, 1861. Stationed at the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL J E B SLOAN
Captain J D Ashmore, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company J, was appointed colonel, 4th South Carolina Infantry, on 16 February, 1861, and resigned at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 15 April, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel J E B Sloan, 4th South Carolina Infantry, was appointed colonel, 4th South Carolina Infantry, on 18 April, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL C S MATTISON
Colonel C S Mattison, 4th South Carolina Militia, was appointed major, 4th South Carolina Infantry, on 16 February, 1861, and lieutenant colonel, 4th South Carolina Infantry, between 15 and 20 April, 1861.

MAJOR J H WHITNER
Captain J H Whitner, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was appointed major, 4th South Carolina Infantry, on 10 May, 1861.

Company A Butler Guards or Hoke's Rifle Company: CAPT. A D HOKE
The company was accepted in state service at Greenville, Greenville District, South Carolina, on 5 January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year as the 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company A, at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 6 May, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 7 May, 1861. The company was assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Infantry, Company B, between 16 May and 24 June, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry).
Company B Palmetto Riflemen: CAPT. W W HUMPHREYS
The company was organised at Anderson Courthouse, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 August, 1860, and was accepted in state service at L Haynie's Old Field, four miles south of Anderson, Anderson district, South Carolina, under the command of Captain J H Whitner, on 3 January, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861, and Captain J H Whitner, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was appointed major, 4th South Carolina Infantry, at Camp O'Connell, State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 10 May, 1861. First Lieutenant W W Humphreys, 4th South Carolina Infantry, was appointed captain, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company B, on 6 June, 1861. First Lieutenant W Earle, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was assigned to command the company during the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.
Company C Dean's Company: CAPT. J T DEAN
The company was accepted in state service at L Haynie's Old Field, four miles south of Anderson Courthouse, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 3 January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861. First Lieutenant D L Hall, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company D, was appointed captain, 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Company E, on 21 April, 1862, and the 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Companies B, D, and I, were consolidated and assigned as the Hampton Legion, Company I, under the command of Captain D L Hall, on 11 November, 1862 (See the Hampton Legion).
Company D Piercetown Guards: CAPT. J LONG
The company was organised at Piercetown Community, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 3 January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861. Captain J Long, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company D, was appointed captain, 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Company A, on 21 April, 1862.
Company E Calhoun Mountaineers (formerly Fair Play Company): CAPT. F W KILPATRICK
The compamy was accepted in state service at Fair Play, Pickens (Oconee County) District, South Carolina, on (?) January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861.
Company F Tyger Volunteers or Poole's Infantry Company: CAPT. G P POOLE
The company was accepted in state service at Middle and South Forks on the Tyger River, Greenville District, South Carolina, on (?) January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861. Captain G Poole, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company F, was mortally wounded at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and died at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper, County, Virginia, on 31 July, 1861.
Company G Saluda Volunteers or Guards: CAPT. J G HAWTHORN
The company was accepted in state service at Greenville, Greenville District, South Carolina, on (?) January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861. Captain J G Hawthorn, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company G, was appointed captain, 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Company B, on 21 April, 1862.
Company H (1st) Keowee Volunteers or Riflemen: CAPT. J W Livingston
The company was accepted in state service at Keowee, Pickens District, South Carolina, on 26 December, 1860, and was mustered in Confederate service for the war as the 1st South Carolina Rifles, Company A, at Camp Pickens, Sandy Springs, Anderson District, South Carolina, by First Lieutenant B F Sloan, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 20 July, 1861.
Company H (2nd) Twelve Mile Volunteers: CAPT. R Y H GRIFFIN
The company was accepted in state service at Twelve Mile Creek, Pickens District, South Carolina, on 11 January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861. Captain R Y H Griffin, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company H (2nd), was appointed captain, 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Company C, on 21 April, 1862, and the 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Companies A and C, were consolidated and assigned as the Hampton Legion, Company K, under the command of Captain J H Bowen, on 11 November, 1862 (See the Hampton Legion).
Company I Pickens Guards: CAPT. W W HOLLINGSWORTH
The company was accepted in state service at Pickensville, Pickens District, South Carolina, on 11 January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861.
Company J Confederate Guards: CAPT. W H ANDERSON
The company was accepted in state service at L Haynie's Old Field, four miles south of Anderson, Anderson district, South Carolina, under the command of Captain J D Ashmore, on 3 January, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861. Captain J D Ashmore, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company J, was appointed colonel, 4th South Carolina Infantry, on 16 February, 1861, and First Lieutenant W H Anderson, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company J, was appointed captain, 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company J, on 9 March, 1861.
Company K Fort Hill Guards: CAPT. J L SHANKLIN
The company was organised accepted in state service at Pendleton and Fork Township, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 3 January, 1861, and mustered in state service for one year on 2 June, 1861.

Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery

Capt. W R Calhoun
Brevet Second Lieutenant W R Calhoun, United States Dragoons, resigned on 27 April, 1861, and was appointed lieutenant colonel, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, on 15 August, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 1 January, 1862.

The Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery was mustered in state sevice for one year, under the command of Captain W R Calhoun, at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 24 January, 1861, and was assigned to the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel R S Ripley, on 28 January, 1861.

Note: Brigadier General R G M Dunovant, South Carolina Militia, was assigned to command Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, and other military posts in the harbour by Special Orders No.39, Brigade Headquarters, South Carolina Militia, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 2 January, 1861, and arrived at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 9 January, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel R S Ripley, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, South Carolina Army, was assigned to command the artillery at Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 2 January, 1861.

Charlseton Arsenal, between President & Ashley Streets, & Doughty & Bee Streets, to Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 31 January, 1861: The 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, was relieved at Charleston Arsenal, between President and Ashley Streets, and Doughty and Bee Streets, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, in the morning on 31 January, 1861, and was ordered to Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, the same day.

Note: The Calhoun Guards, 17th South Carolina Militia, was ordered to Charleston Arsenal, between President and Ashley Streets, and Doughty and Bee Streets, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 1 February, 1861, and was relieved by the Union Light Infantry, 17th South Carolina Militia, on 13 February, 1861.

Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 12 & 13 April, 1861: 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, under the command of First Lieutenant T Wagner, was stationed at the Channel Battery, in the vicinity of Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 9 AM on 12 April, 1861, and at the Sumter Battery, at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, at 12 PM on 13 April, 1861.

Note: Detachments of the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company B, under the command of First Lieutenant A Rhett, were stationed at the Sumter Battery, at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 11 April, 1861, and were relieved by eight detachments of the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, under the command of First Lieutenant T Wagner, between 9 and 11 AM and 1 and 3 PM on 12 April, 1861. A detachment of fifteen men of the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D, were stationed at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, between 12 and 13 April, 1861.

Organisation of batteries at or in the vicinity of Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 12-13 April, 1861: Captain W R Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A: Channel Battery, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, First Lieutenant T M Wagner; Sumter Battery (three 8 inch Columbiads and six 24 pounders), detachments of the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company B, First Lieutenant A Rhett; Oblique Battery (two 32 pounders), three detachments of the 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D, Second Lieutenant C W Parker

Note: Captain WR Calhoun, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, was appointed assistant commandant of batteries and assigned to command the Sumter, Channel, and Oblique Batteries at and in the vicinity of Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, on 12 and 13 April, 1861. First Lieutenant T M Wagner, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company A, was stationed at Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 15 March, 1861, and was appointed captain, 1st South Carolina Battalion Artillery, Company D, dated 2 April, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Fort Moultrie, on Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, 18 May, 1861: The Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Fort Moultrie, on Sullivan's Island, Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, by Major & Assistant Adjutant General D R Jones, Confederate States Army, on 18 May, 1861 (See the Third Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, 4 July, 1861: The Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery was ordered to Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 4 July, 1861.

Note: Captain W R Calhoun, Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery, was ordered to proceed by the Northeastern Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 June, 1861, and arrived at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 3 July, 1861.

Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 30 July-2 August, 1861: The Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery was ordered to proceed by the Northeastern Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 30 July, 1861, and arrived by the Weldon Railroad at Petersburg, Virginia, on 1 August, 1861. The company arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 August, 1861.

Note: The Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery was stationed on the James River, east of the Reservoir or Water Works and Hollywood Cemetery, Oregon Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between on 2 and 28 August, 1861.

James River, east of the Reservoir or Water Works & Hollywood Cemetery, Oregon Hill, Richmond, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 28 August, 1861: The Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.136, Paragraph XVII, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 August, 1861, and was accompanied by the Richmond or Baptist College Battalion Artillery. The company was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 8 September, 1861.

Note: First Lieutenant W C Preston, Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery, was appointed captain, Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery, on 15 August, 1861, and the Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery was assigned to the Third Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General D R Jones, Confederate States Army, on (?) September, 1861 (See the Third Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, 1st South Carolina Artillery, Company A, 25 March, 1862: The Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery was assigned to the 1st South Carolina Artillery, Company A, under the command of Colonel W R Calhoun, at Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, on 25 March, 1862.

Star Artillery, October-December, 1861: Two field pieces of the Sumter or Calhoun Light Artillery were assigned to the Star Artillery, under the command of First Lieutenant F G Latham, 5th South Carolina Infantry, Company G, on (?) October, 1861, and was assigned to the 5th South Carolina Infantry between (?) October and (?) December, 1861 (See the 5th South Carolina Infantry).

Baptist College Battalion Artillery

Capt. T H Carter
T H Carter was appointed captain, King William Artillery, on 1 June, 1861, dated 2 July, 1861, and was stationed at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861.

Unlettered Company King William Artillery: First Lt. P H Fontaine
The company was mustered in state service at Bond's Store, King William County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861, and arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861. The company was mustered in Confederate service for one year at the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 July, 1861, and was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 July, 1861. The company was stationed at Allen's Grove, east of the Virginia Central Railroad, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 September, 1861.
Unlettered Company (Courtney) Henrico Artillery: Capt. A R Courtney
The company was accepted and mustered in Confederate service for one year at Deep Run Church, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 July, 1861, and (78) was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 July and (87) 10 August, 1861. The company (87) was stationed at Allen's Grove, east of the Virginia Central Railroad, one mile northeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 September, 1861.

Note: A R Courtney was appointed second lieutenant, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 15 May, 1861, and captain, Courtney Henrico Artillery, on 8 July, 1861.

Unlettered Company Sons of Fluvanna or Fluvanna Artillery No.1: Capt. W H Holman
The company was accepted in state service at Fluvanna County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service on 20 June, 1861. First Lieutenant W H Holman, Fluvanna Artillery No.1, was appointed captain, Fluvanna Artillery No.1, on 28 June, 1861, and the company was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 5 September, 1861. The company assigned to the Reserve Artillery, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia, under the command of Colonel W N Pendleton, Confederate Statse Army, on 14 January, 1862, and the Fluvanna Artillery No.1 and the Fluvanna Artillery No.2 were consolidated and designated the Fluvanna Artillery, under the command of Captain J L Massie, on 4 October, 1862.

Note: J L Massie was appointed second lieutenant, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 15 February, 1862, and senior first lieutenant, Fluvanna Artillery No.1, on 16 May, 1862.

The Richmond Baptist College Battalion Artillery was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, under the command of Captain T H Carter, King William Artillery, between 1 and 9 August, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.136, Paragraph XVII, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 August, 1861.

Note: The King William Artillery proceeded to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.136, Paragraph XVII, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 11 September, 1861, dated 28 August, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 4 PM on 12 September, 1861. The company was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 14 September, 1861.

Stationed at Baptist College Artillery Barracks

Goochland Artillery: Capt. J H Guy
The Goochland Artillery was mustered in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 6 June, 1861, and was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 30 June, 1861. The company (101) was stationed at Camp Magruder, Sydney Baptist Church, south of the Western Plank Road, one and a half miles west of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 15 July, 1861.

Hampden Artillery: Capt. L S Marye
The Hampden Artillery was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 17 May and 22 June, 1861 (See the Thomas Artillery).

Henrico Artillery: Capt. J H Sands
The Henrico Artillery was mustered in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel J Selden, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 13 May, 1861, and was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 May, 1861.

Orange Artillery: Capt. T J Peyton
The Orange Artillery was assigned to Colonel J B Magruder, Provisional Army of Virginia, by Special Orders No.16, Headquarters of Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 May, 1861, and was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Richmond & York River Railroad to West Point, on the York River, King William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.41, Headquarters of Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 8 AM on 16 May, 1861, dated 14 May, 1861.

Richmond Howitzer Battalion Artillery: Maj. G W Randolph
The Richmond Howitzer Battalion Artillery, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Companies, were stationed at the Baptist College Artillery Barracks, Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 28 April and 10 May, 1861 (See the Richmond Howitzer Battalion Artillery, 1st Company).

Richmond Fayette Artillery: Capt. H C Cabell
The Richmond Fayette Artillery was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Richmond & York River Railroad to West Point, on the York River, King William County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861 (See the 1st Virginia Infantry).

Thomas Artillery: Capt. P B Stanard
The Thomas Artillery was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 17 May and 22 June, 1861 (See the Thomas Artillery).

Colonel J B Magruder, infantry, Confederate States Army: Captain & Brevet Lieutenant Colonel J B Magruder, 1st United States Artillery, resigned on 20 April, 1861, and was assigned to command the artillery in and around Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by General Orders No.5, Headquarters of Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861. Colonel J B Magruder, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the Virginia Forces in and around Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by General Orders No.12, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861, and was relieved by General Orders No.18, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861. He was appointed colonel, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 21 May, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861, and was assigned to command the District of Yorktown, Department of the Peninsula, at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861. Colonel J B Magruder, infantry, Confederate States Army, was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 17 June, 1861.

Note: Brigadier General T T Fauntleroy, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the Virginia Forces in and around Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by General Orders No.18, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 19 May, 1861, and assumed command by Special Orders No.48, Headquarters of Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 20 May, 1861.

Major J Pegram, Provisional Army of Virginia, 13 May, 1861: J Pegram was appointed captain, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 27 April, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861, and Major J Pegram, artillery, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.38, Headquarters of Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861.

Major B Allston, artillery, Confederate States Army, 20 June, 1861: B Allston was appointed first lieutenant, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 11 June, 1861, and was assigned to command the artillery in and about Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.190, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 11 June, 1861. First Lieutenant B Allston, artillery, Confederate States Army, was appointed major, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 20 June, 1861, and was stationed at the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 20 and 28 June, 1861. Major B Allston, artillery, Confederate States Army, was temporarily assigned to the 19th Mississippi Infantry by Special Orders No.76, Paragraph XII, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861, and appears on the muster roll of the 4th Alabama Infantry, Company F, on 30 June, 1861. He was assigned to command the 4th Alabama Infantry on 11 August, 1861 (See the 4th Alabama Infantry).

Captain E P Alexander, corps engineers, Confederate States Army, 28 June, 1861: E P Alexander was appointed captain, corps engineers, Confederate States Army, on 16 March, 1861, and arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 1 June, 1861. Captain E P Alexander, corps engineers, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.205, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861 (See Engineers, Army of the Potomac).

Sources

"Pursuant to orders, the Fourth Regiment of So. Co. Volunteers repaired to this point this afternoon. Six companies are encamped, viz: The Palmetto Riflemen of Anderson, Capt. Whitner, the Confederate Guards, Capt. Anderson, Capt. Dean's company, (C.,) the Piercetown Guards, Capt. Long, and the Calhoun Mountaineers, Capt. Kilpatrick. We are quartered in various unoccupied buildings - the church, schoolhouse, &c., which the citizens have kindly afforded us."

"We embark in the morning for Columbia, there to await further orders."

The Anderson Intelligencer, 17 April, 1861 - Belton, 15 April, 1861

"J. B. E. Sloan, lieutenant Colonel 4th Regiment, has been promoted to the command of that Regiment, vice J. D. Ashmore resigned."

The Charleston Courier, 18 April, 1861

"This company, now stationed on Main Street, was formerly known as the 'Fair Play Company,' and is commanded by Capt. F. W. Kilpatrick. It munbers in all 86 men."

The Keowee Courier, 18 April, 1861 - Columbia, 18 April, 1861

"Col. Ashmore received orders on Saturday night to march with his Regiment fortwith to Columbia. The orders to move were extended to the companies on that night and Sunday; and, as the sun sunk behind the western hills on the same day, three companies from Pickens were arriving at Pendleton. Capt. Hollingsworth's company, from its close proximity, was the first on the ground. Next came Capt. Kilpatrick's company, and then Capt. Griffin's - these last named companies marching, on that day, about thirty miles. The companies reached Pendleton shortly after the cars arrived, bringing the glorious news that Fort Sumter had capitulated, after a hard fight."

"The companies left Pendleton on Monday and Tuesday, arriving in Columbia in the afternoon of the last mentioned day."

The Keowee Courier, 20 April, 1861 - The Volunteers

"The 4th Regiment S. C. V. received their orders to move toward the seat of war on Saturday the 13th inst., and were prepared to obey on Sunday and Monday following, but owing to a want of cars on this end of the Railroad, they could not do so until Monday or Tuesday."

The Anderson Intelligencer, 25 April, 1861 - Departure of 4th Regt. S. C. Volunteers

"The Butler Guards, Capt. A. D. Hoke, of Greenville, an elegant and finely-drilled corps, has since obtained permission to march as a company for Virginia, and will take their departure in a day or two."

The Anderson Intelligencer, 2 May, 1861 - Headquarters 4th Regiment, S. C. V., Columbia, 29 April, 1861

"This fine company having been accepted as a part of Col. Kershaw's Regiment, now in servive in Virginia, left yesterday for Richmond, on a special train furnished free of expense by the authorities of the Charlotte Railroad. This train left at 3 o'clock, and will run through to Charlotte in five hours, reaching Richmond before 12 o'clock today. The Guards were escorted to the depot by the Fourth Regiment, under the command of Col. Sloan, and by the Richland Rifles, of Columbia."

The Anderson Intelligencer, 9 May, 1861 - The Departure of the Butler Guards

"The Keowee Volunteers, at this place, unanimously agreed to enter Col. Orr's Regiment, provided he gets the remaining companies in two weeks. if not, the company tender its services to President Davis."

The Charleston Courier, 13 June, 1861 - Col. Orr's Regiment

"The 4th Regiment of volunteers from the gallant Palmette State arrived in Richmond on Monday, the 17th inst."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 20 June, 1861 - South Carolina Volunteers

"The 4th Regiment of Volunteers from the gallant Palmetto State arrived in Richmond on Monday, the 17th inst."

The Charleston Mercury, 25 June, 1861 - South Carolina Volunteers

"Just before leaving Richmond I visited the various camps in the vicinity. Among these I found the portion of Col. Gregg's command so far raised, Captain Calhoun's admirably drilled company of Flying Artillery, and Col. J. J. Pettigrew's North Carolina Regiment - a fine, stalwart body of mountaineers."

The Charleston Mercury, 24 August, 1861 - Camp Kershaw, Fairfax C. H., Va., 16 August, 1861

Manuscripts/ Books

History of the Fourth Regiment South Carolina Volunteers, from the commencement of the war until Lee's surrender, by J. W. Reid

South Carolina's military organisations during the War Between the States: The Upstate, by R. S. Seigler

South Carolina's military organisations during the War Between the States: Militia & reserves, by R. S. Seigler

Company J, Fourth South Carolina Infantry, at the first battle of Manassas, by B. B. Breazeale

South Carolina troops in Confederate service, Volume II, complied by A. S. Salley, Jr.

Notes

The 4th South Carolina Infantry was organised on 4 February, 1861, and was accepted in state service on 6 March, 1861. The regiment was ordered to rendezvous at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 13 April, 1861.

L Haynie's Old Field, four miles south of Anderson Courthouse, Anderson District, South Carolina, Company B, 3 January, 1861: The Palmetto Riflemen and the Gist Riflemen were stationed at L Haynie's Old Field, four miles south of Anderson, Anderson District, South Carolina, in the morning on 3 January, 1861 (See the Hampton Legion).

Note: The 4th South Carolina Militia, the Gist Riflemen, the Palmetto Riflemen, the Seneca Rangers, and the Anderson Troop were stationed at L Haynie's Old Field, four miles south of Anderson Courthouse, Anderson district, South Carolina, in the morning on 3 January, 1861.

L Haynie's Old Field, four miles south of Anderson Courthouse, Anderson District, South Carolina, Companies C & J, 3 January, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry, Companies C and J, under the command of Captain's J T Dean and J D Ashmore, were accepted in state service at L Haynie's Old Field, four miles south of Anderson Courthouse, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 3 January, 1861.

Organisation of 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company J, 3 January, 1861: 4th South Carolina Militia, 1st Battalion, Captain J D Ashmore, First Lieutenant W Anderson, Second Lieutenant W J Broon

Organisation of 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company C, 3 January, 1861: 4th South Carolina Militia, 2nd Battalion, Captain J T Dean, First Lieutenant A T Broyles, Second Lieutenant D L Hall

Note: J E B Sloan was appointed lieutenant colonel, 4th South Carolina Infantry, on 16 February, 1861, and the 4th South Carolina Infantry was mustered in state service for one year at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 14 April, 1861.

Fair Play, Twelve Mile Creek, & Pickensville, Pickens District, to Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, Companies E, H (2nd), & I, 13 April, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry, Companies E, H (2nd), and I, arrived at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, in the evening on 13 April, 1861.

Note: The Keowee Riflemen or Volunteers, under the command of Captain J W Livingston, was temporarily assigned to the 4th South Carolina Infantry and was mustered in Confederate service for the war as the 1st South Carolina Rifles, Company A, at Camp Pickens, Sandy Springs, Anderson District, South Carolina, by First Lieutenant B F Sloan, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 20 July, 1861.

Pendleton, Anderson District, to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, Companies B, C, D, E, & J, 15-16 April, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry, Companies B, C, D, E, and J, arrived by the Greenville & Columbia Railroad at Belton, Anderson District, South Carolina, in the afternoon on 15 April, 1861, and were ordered to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, in the morning on 16 April, 1861. Companies B, C, D, E, and J arrived by the Greenville & Columbia Railroad at Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, in the afternoon the same day.

Pendleton, Anderson District, to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, 15 & 16 April, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Greenville & Columbia Railroad to Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, under the command of Acting Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J E B Sloan and Acting Lieutenant Colonel & Major C S Mattison, on 15 and 16 April, 1861, and arrived at Camp O'Connell, State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, via Belton, Anderson District, South Carolina, in the afternoon on 16 April, 1861.

Organisation of 4th South Carolina Infantry, Camp O'Connell, State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, 17 April, 1861: Acting Colonel & Lieutenant Colonel J E B Sloan, Acting Lieutenant Colonel & Major C S Mattison; Company A (107), Butler Guards, Captain A D Hoke; Company B (97), Palmetto Riflemen, Captain W W Humphreys; Company C (85), Captain J T Dean; Company D, Piercetown Guards (95), Captain J Long; Company E (90), Calhoun Mountaineers, Captain F W Kilpatrick; Company F (101), Tyger Volunteers, Captain G P Poole; Company G (90), Saluda Volunteers, Captain J G Hawthorn; Company H (2nd) (107), Twelve Mile Volunteers, Captain R Y H Griffin; Company I, Pickens Guards (100), Captain W W Hollingsworth; Company J (95), Confederate Guards, Captain W H Anderson

Note: Colonel J D Ashmore, 4th South Carolina Infantry, resigned at Pendleton, Anderson District, South Carolina, on 15 April, 1861, and the 4th South Carolina Infantry (86), Company E, was stationed on Main Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 18 April, 1861.

Note: The 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company A, was stationed at the Catholic Nunnery, on the corner of Main and Richland Streets, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina; Company B at a storeroom on Main Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina; and Companies C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and K, at Cottontown, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 17 April, 1861, and a detachment of the 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company B, was stationed at Camp Boquet, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 29 April, 1861. The 4th South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Camp O'Connell, State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, under the command of Brigadier General A C Garlington, South Carolina (Militia) Volunteers, on 1 May, 1861.

State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company A, 6-7 May, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company A, was ordered to proceed by the Charlotte & South Carolina Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 6 May, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad via Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, and Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Virginia, in the evening on 7 May, 1861.

Note: The 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company A, was assigned to the 2nd South Carolina Infantry, Company B, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 16 May and 24 June, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry).

State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, Company K, 2 June, 1861: The Fort Hill Guards was mustered in state service for one year as the 4th South Carolina Infantry, Company K, at Camp O'Connell, State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, on 2 June, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Camp O'Connell, State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, 7 June, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was mustered in Confederate service for one year at Camp O'Connell, State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, by Lieutenant Colonel B E Bee, infantry, Confederate States Army, on 7 June, 1861.

State Agricultural Society of South Carolina Fairgrounds, north of Upper Street, Columbia, Richland District, South Carolina, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 15-17 June, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Columbia Branch, South Carolina Railroad, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 8 AM on 15 June, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Petersburg Railroad via Wilmington, New Hanover County, and Weldon, Halifax County, North Carolina, and Petersburg, Virginia, in the evening on 17 June, 1861.

Richmond to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 20-21 June, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.74, Paragraph IV, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 20 June, 1861, dated 18 June, 1861, and was accompanied by Major N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army. The regiment arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861.

Note: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was assigned to the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel J A Early, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph VI, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861 (See the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac).

Manassas Junction to Gainesville, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 June 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to proceed by the Manassas Gap Railroad to Gainesville, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.55, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Virginia, 21 June, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was detached from the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.55, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861.

Gainesville, Prince William County, to Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, 22-23 June 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, under the command of Major N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army, by Special Orders No.55, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 22 June, 1861, dated 21 June, 1861, and arrived at Carter's Green, south of Goose Creek, four and a half miles north of Aldie, Loudoun County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, in the morning on 23 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Carolina, J T Claggett's Farm, on the old Carolina Road, one mile southeast of Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, the same day.

Note: Major N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command Loudoun County and the Potomac River between Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, and Drainesville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 23 June, 1861.

Frying Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, 10-11 July, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Frying Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Tabor, Frying Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the evening on 11 July, 1861.

Evans' Demi Brigade, Army of the Potomac, Frying Pan Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, 11 July, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was assigned to Evans' Demi Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Major N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army, at Frying Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 11 July, 1861.

Note: Major N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command the troops at and in the vicinity of Frying Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, as part of the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, on 11 July, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry). The 4th South Carolina Infantry was stationed between Frying Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, and Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 13 July, 1861.

Withdrawal to Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 17 July, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to withdraw to the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, on 17 July, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day.

Note: Colonel J R Hagood, 1st South Carolina Infantry, was stationed at Camp Tabor, Frying Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861.

After the first battle of Manassas the 4th South Carolina Infantry was stationed at the Stone Bridge, on Bull Run River, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was assigned to the Third Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Organisation of Third Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 July, 1861: 4th South Carolina Infantry, 5th South Carolina Infantry, 6th South Carolina Infantry, 9th South Carolina Infantry

Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, to one & a half miles south of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 29 July, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered one and a half miles south of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 29 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pettus, one and a half miles south of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, the same day.

Note: The 5th South Carolina Infantry arrived at Camp Pettus, one and a half miles southeast of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 24 July, 1861; the 6th South Carolina Infantry and 9th South Carolina Infantry on 28 July, 1861; and the 4th South Carolina Infantry on 29 July, 1861.

One & a half miles south of Centreville, to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, 12 August, 1861: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.218, Paragragh I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 8 AM on 12 August, 1861, dated 10 August, 1861, and arrived at 2 PM the same day.

Consolidated as 13th South Carolina Battalion Infantry, at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, 21 April, 1862: The 4th South Carolina Infantry was consolidated as the 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, and E, under the command of Major C S Mattison, at Yorktown, York County, Virginia, on 21 April, 1862, and the 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, and E, were consolidated and assigned as the Hampton Legion Infantry, Companies I and K, on 11 November, 1862 (See the Hampton Legion).

Consolidated 13th (4th) South Carolina Battalion Infantry, 21 April, 1861: Major C S Mattison; Company A, Captain J Long; Company B, Captain J G Hawthorn; Company C, Captain R Y H Griffin; Company D, Captain H A Cauble; Company A, Captain D L Hall

Major N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army, Seventh (Demi) Brigade, Army of the Potomac: Captain N G Evans, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company H, resigned at Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 23 February, dated 27 February, 1861, and was appointed major and assistant adjutant general, Provisional Army of South Carolina, on 27 February, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry). Major & Assistant Adjutant General N G Evans, Provisional Army of South Carolina, arrived at Cokesbury, Greenwood District, South Carolina, on 14 March, 1861, and was appointed adjutant general to Brigadier General R G M Dunovant, Provisional Army of South Carolina, on 28 March, 1861. He was ordered to Sullivan's Island, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 9 April, 1861, and was on duty at Fort Johnson, Windmill Point, James Island, during the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, on 12 and 13 April, 1861. Major & Adjutant General N G Evans, Provisional Army of South Carolina, was stationed at Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 16 May, 1861, and was appointed major, cavalry, Confederate States Army, at Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina, on 21 May, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861. Major N G Evans, cavlary, Confederate States Army, mustered the 7th South Carolina Infantry in Confederate service on 4 June, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Virginia, by Special Orders No.74, Paragraph VI, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 7th South Carolina Infantry). He was accompanied the 4th South Carolina Infantry and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 June, 1861. Major N G Evans, cavlary, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, on 22 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the 4th South Carolina Infantry. He was assigned to command at Loudoun County and the Potomac River between Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, and Drainesville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 23 June, 1861, and was ordered to Frying Pan Church, on the old Ox Road, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861. Major N G Evans, cavlary, Confederate States Army, was appointed colonel, cavlary, Confederate States Army, on 23 July, 1861, and was assigned to command the Seventh Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, by Special Orders No.169, Paragarph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861. Colonel N G Evans, cavlary, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.212, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 8 August, 1861, and was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 21 October, 1861.

Note: Major N G Evans, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.198, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

The 4th South Carolina Infantry was assigned to the Third Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General D R Jones, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.111: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp560-562
Colonel J B E Sloan, Fourth South Carolina Infantry, dated in the vicinity of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run, River, 23 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.110: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp558-560
Colonel N G Evans, Seventh Brigade, Army of the Potomac, dated in the vicinity of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 24 July, 1861