Third Brigade, Army of the Potomac
Colonel M Jenkins, commanding the 5th South Carolina Infantry
Fifth South Carolina Infantry
Mustered in Confederate service on 4 June, 1861, and arrived at Manassas Junction on 21 June, 1861
COLONEL M JENKINS
LIEUTENANT COLONEL G W H LEGG
MAJOR W T THOMPSON
- Company A Johnson Riflemen or Rifles: CAPT. J W GOSS
- Company B King's Mountain Guard: CAPT. A JACKSON
- Company C (1st) Batesville Volunteers: CAPT. J J BROWN
The company declined to muster in Confederate service and was disbanded on 4 June, 1861.
- Company C (2nd) Lawson's Fork Volunteers: CAPT. R B SEAY
- Company D Tyger River Volunteers or Goshen Hill Volunteers: CAPT. R R GILES
- Company E Pea Ridge Volunteers: CAPT. W J T GLENN
- Company F Morgan Light Infantry or Rifles: CAPT. A H FOSTER
The company was organised at Spartanburg, Spartanburg County, on 13 April, 1861.
- Company G Pacolet Guards: CAPT. J Q CARPENTER
The company was organised at Spartanburg District, South Carolina, on 13 April, 1861.
- Company H Catawba Light Infantry: CAPT. W J BOWEN
- Company I Jasper Light Infantry: CAPT. C A SEABROOK
- Company J Whyte Guards: CAPT. A E HUTCHISON
The company was disbanded after three months state service on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina.
- Company K Spartan Rifles: CAPT. J H WALKER
- Unlettered Company Star Artillery: FIRST LT. F G LATHAM
The company was organised with a detachment of thirty to forty men, under the command of First Lieutenant F G Latham, in October 1861 and was assigned two field pieces from the Sumter Artillery (See the Sumter Artillery). The company ceased to exist by December 1861 or January 1862 .
"Two days later, Lieutenant Colonel George W H Legg, 5th South Carolina Infantry, wrote a letter to his local newspaper 'The Carolina Spartan' stating, "We will have it today. We have been entrenching ourselves all night. We are well fortified at McClean's Ford." Several days before the commencement of fighting, Confederate General P G T Beauregard ordered a "heavy" abatis about 200 yards in depth to be constructed on the western side of the Stone Bridge across the Run."
American Civil War fortifications No.2: Land and field fortifications, byRon Field and illustrated by Peter Dennis
South Carolina Volunteers in the Civil War: Fifth South Carolina Volunteers, Jenkins', in collaboration with W B Bynum, K R Johnson and H M Madaus with text and illustrations by R Field
South Carolina's military organisations during the War Between the States: The Upstate, by R S Seigler
The 5th South Carolina Infantry was authorised under the Act of 17 December, 1860, calling for ten regiments of volunteers for twelve months state service and was ordered to Columbia, South Carolina, on 13 April, 1861.
Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, on 12 and 13 April, 1861: The 5th South Carolina Infantry encamped at the fairgrounds, near Columbia, South Carolina, and was ordered to Sullivan's Island, Charleston Harbour, by steamer to relieve the 1st Rifles South Carolina State Militia, on 19 April, 1861, and to rebuild Fort Moultrie and build defenses on the island. After the fall of Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour, President J Davis and Governor F W Pickens requested the 5th South Carolina Infantry volunteer for Confederate service in Virginia. Two companies and some individuals declined service in Virginia and were disbanded on Sullivan's Island, Charleston Harbour, in June, 1861. The 5th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Orangeburg Courthouse, South Carolina, by Colonel B E Bee, Confederate Sttaes Army, on 4 June, 1861, and was mustered in Confederate service at on 4 June, 1861.
Richmond, Virginia, 10 June, 1861: The 5th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to proceed to Richmond, Virginia, on 5 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Davis, near Richmond, Virginia, on 10 June, 1861.
Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, 21 June, 1861: The 5th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, by railroad on 20 June, 1861, and arrived on 21 June, 1861. The regiment encamped at Camp Walker, near Manassas Junction, and was assigned to the Third Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General D R Jones, on 21 June, 1861. The 5th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to McLean's Ford, Virginia, on 17 July, 1861.
After the first battle of Manassas was ordered to Fairfax Station, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861. The regiment was relieved by the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, on 24 July, 1861, and withdrew to Camp Pettus, near Centreville, the same day (See the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac).
Reorganised April 1862: The 5th South Carolina Infantry was reorganised on 23 April, 1862.
Brevet Captain D R Jones, assistant adjutant general, United States Army, resigned his commission on 15 February, 1861, and was appointed major and chief of staff to Brigadier General P G T Beauregard at Fort Sumter, Charleston Harbour. Major D R Jones, Confederate States Army, was commissioned a brigadier general on 17 June, 1861.
On 25 July 1861, the Army of the Potomac was reorganised and the 5th South Carolina Infantry was assigned to the Third Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General D R Jones.
OFFICIAL REPORT NO.99: Series I, Volume 2 (S# 2), Chapter IX, pp. 541–543
Colonel M Jenkins, Fifth South Carolina Infantry
Orders of Battle
The above painting, 'The Fourth Alabama', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historial artist.