The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Fifth Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah

Captain P B Stanard, Thomas Artillery

Captain P B Stanard, Thomas Artillery

Thomas Artillery

Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 July, 1861. Stationed at the rear of Mitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River

CAPTAIN P B STANARD

Section: FIRST LT. C H THORNTON
C H Thornton was appointed first lieutenant, Thomas Artillery, on 25 April, 1861.

Two 6 pounder smoothbores, M1841

Section: SECOND LT. E MACON
Second Lieutenant E Macon, Thomas Artillery, was killed at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861, and Sergeant J Massenburg, Jr., Thomas Artillery, was appointed second lieutenant, Thomas Artillery, on 2 August, 1861.

Two 6 pounder smoothbores, M1841

Note: Second/Third Lieutenant E J Anderson, Thomas Artillery, was appointed first/second lieutenant, Thomas Artillery, on 2 August, 1861, and captain, Thomas Artillery, on 30 July, 1862.

Sources

"The Thomas Artillery was duly organized last night, by the election of P. B. Stanard as Captain, Charles H. Thornton as 1st Lieutenant, Edgar Macon 2d Lieutenant, and a full corps of non-commissioned officers."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 26 April, 1861 - Artillery company organised

"The Hampden and Thomas Artillery Companies moved their camp on Saturday evening from the Baptist College to Griffin's Spring, the quarters occupied by the Howitzers prior to their departure."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 24 June, 1861

"The following officers commanded the Thomas Artillery during the engagement: Capt. Phil. B. Stanard, 1st Lieut.. Charles H. Thornston, 2d Lieut. Edgar Macon, 3d Lieut. Ed. J. Anderson.."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 31 July, 1861 - Thomas Artillery

Books/ Manuscripts

The Richmond Fayette, Hampden, Thomas, & Blount's Lynchburg Artillery, First Edition, No.630 of 1000, by R H Moore II

Richmond Volunteers: The volunteer companies of the City of Richmond and Henrico County, Virginia, 1861-1865, by Louis H Manarin and Lee A Wallace, Jr.

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition by I A Wallace, Jr.

General Edmund Kirby Smith C.S.A., by Joseph H Parks

Notes

The Thomas Artillery was accepted in state service at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861.

Organisation of Thomas Artillery, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 10 May, 1861: Captain P B Stanard, First Lieutenant C H Thornton, Second Lieutenant E Macon, Third Lieutenant E J Anderson

Mustered for one year, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 10 May, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel J Selden, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 10 May, 1861.

Note: Colonel J B Magruder, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the artillery in and around Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by General Orders No.5, Headquarters of Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861, and the Virginia Forces in and around Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by General Orders No.12, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861 (See the 1st Rockbridge Artillery).

Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 17 May, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was ordered to the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861.

Note: Major J Pegram, artillery, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command the Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one and a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.38, Headquarters of Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Note: The Thomas Artillery was assigned as support during the building of entrenchments on the Warwick & Poquoson Road on 20 June, 1861.

Richmond or Baptist College Artillery Barracks, on Bush Hill, south of Deep Run Turnpike, one & a quarter miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, to Griffin('s) Spring, one mile east of Chimborazo Hill, one & a half miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 22 June, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was ordered to Griffin('s) Spring, one mile east of Chimborazo Hill, one and a half miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 22 June, 1861, and was accompanied by the Hampden Artillery.

Note: The Thomas Artillery (97) was stationed at Camp Chimborazo, Griffin('s) Spring, one mile east of Chimborazo Hill, one and a half miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 5 and 10 July, 1861 (See the 4th South Carolina Infantry).

Camp Chimborazo, Griffin('s) Spring, one mile east of Chimborazo Hill, one & a half miles southeast of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 10-12 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.216, Paragraph VI, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 July, 1861, dated 9 July, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Manassas Gap Railroad to Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia, on 11 July, 1861, and arrived by the Valley Turnpike at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 12 July, 1861.

Martinsburg Turnpike, on Red Bud Run, one & a half miles north of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 15 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was stationed at the Martinsburg Turnpike, on Red Bud Run, one and a half miles north of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 15 July, 1861.

Note: The Thomas Artillery was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, under the command of Brigadier General E K Smith, Confederate States Army, at the Martinsburg Turnpike, on Red Bud Run, one and a half miles north of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 15 July, 1861.

March to Manassas Junction, 18-20 July, 1861

The Thomas Artillery was was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.1, Headquarters, Army of the Shenandoah, Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 18 July, 1861.

Martinsburg Turnpike, on Red Bud Run, one & a half miles north of Winchester, Frederick County, to Berry's Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, three & a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, 18-19 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery arrived by the Millwood Turnpike at Berry's Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, three and a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, at 12 AM on 19 July, 1861.

Berry's Ferry, on the Shenandoah River, three & a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, to Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, 19 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was ordered across the Shenandoah River at Berry's Ferry, three and a half miles southeast of Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia, at 6 AM on 19 July, 1861, and arrived at Piedmont Station via Ashby's Gap, on the Blue Ridge Mountains, Clarke, Loudoun, and Fauquier Counties, and Paris, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 1 PM the same day.

Note: The 1st Rockbridge Artillery, the Thomas Artillery, and the Wise Artillery were assigned to Colonel & Acting Captain W N Pendleton, artillery, Confederate States Army, at Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, on 19 July, 1861,

Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 19-20 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery, under the command of Colonel & Acting Captain W N Pendleton, artillery, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 7 PM on 19 July, 1861, and was accompanied by the 1st Rockbridge Artillery and the Wise Artillery. The company arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Salem and White Plains, Fauquier County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 20 July, 1861 (See the Wise Artillery).

Note: Brigadier General E K Smith, Confederates States Army, assumed command of the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, at Piedmont Station, Fauquier County, Virginia, in the morning on 21 July, 1861 (See the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah).

Rear of McLean's Ford, on Bull Run River, 20 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery, the Wise Artillery, and the 1st Rockbridge Artillery, under the command of Colonel & Acting Captain W N Pendleton, artillery, Confederate States Army, were stationed in woods at the rear of Mitchell's Ford, on Bull Run River, on 20 July, 1861.

First battle of Manassas, 21 July, 1861

The Thomas Artillery was stationed in woods at the rear of Mcitchell's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The Thomas Artillery was assigned to Brigadier General T J Jackson, Confederate States Army, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Advance to Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery, under the command of Colonel & Acting Captain W N Pendleton, artillery, Confederate States Army, was ordered to Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861, and was accompanied by two 6 pounder 3 inch rifles and three 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, 1st and 4th Companies, under the command of Major J B Walton, and one 6 pounder smoothbore of the 1st Rockbridge Artillery.

Note: Three 6 pounder smoothbores of the Staunton Artillery and two 6 pounder smoothbores of the Thomas Artillery were stationed 600 yards southeast of I Henry's or Spring Hill, on Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, at 11.30 AM on 21 July, 1861 (See the Staunton Artillery).

Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was stationed 600 yards southeast of I Henry's or Spring Hill, on Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 1st Rockbridge Artillery, the Wise Artillery, and the Thomas Artillery were stationed 600 yards southeast of I Henry's or Spring Hill, on Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Withdrawal southeast of Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was ordered to withdraw southeast of Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Note: Second Lieutenant E Macon, Thomas Artillery, was killed southeast of I Henry's or Spring Hill, on Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

Eminence one mile southwest of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was ordered to an eminence one mile southwest of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon 21 July, 1861

Note: The Lynchburg Artillery was ordered to an eminence one mile southwest of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon 21 July, 1861 (See the Lynchburg Artillery).

Rear of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was stationed at the rear of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 21 July, 1861

Note: The Thomas Artillery was stationed at F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 4 August, 1861.

F Lewis' farm, a quarter of a mile southwest of Lewis' Ford, on the Bull Run River, to Broad Run, half a mile northwest of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad & one & a half miles northeast of Bristoe Station, Prince William County, Virginia, 4/10 August, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was ordered to Broad Run, half a mile northwest of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad and one and a half miles northeast of Bristoe Station, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4/10 August, 1861.

Note: The Thomas Artillery was stationed at Broad Run, half a mile northwest of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad and one and a half miles northeast of Bristoe Station, and Prince William County, Virginia, between 4/10 August and 17 September, 1861.

Broad Run, half a mile northwest of the Orange & Alexandria Railroad & one & a half miles northeast of Bristoe Station, Prince William County, to Little Rocky Run, one & a half miles east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 21 September, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was stationed at Little Rocky Run, one and a half miles east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 17 September and 16 October, 1861.

Note: Two 6 pounder smoothbores, under the command of Second Lieutenant J Massenburg, Jr., Thomas Artillery (34), were assigned to picket duty between 15 and 20 October, 1861.

Little Rocky Run, one & a half miles east of Centreville, to Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 16 October, 1861: The Thomas Artillery was ordered to the Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, at 2 AM on 16 October, 1861.

Disbanded at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, 4 October, 1862: The Thomas Artillery, under the command of Captain E J Anderson, was disbanded and the men and horses assigned to the Hampden Artillery, 38th Battalion Virginia Light Artillery, Company C, under the command of Captain W H Caskie, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 209, Adjutant & Inspectors General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 4 October, 1862.

Brigadier General E K Smith, Confederate States Army, Fifth Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah: Captain E K Smith, 2nd United States Cavalry, Company B, surrendered at Camp Colorado, Jim Ned Creek, Texas, to Colonel H E McCulloch, Provisional Army of Texas, on 22 February, 1861, and proceeded to Fort Mason, one mile southwest of Comanche Creek, on Post Oak Hill, Mason County, Texas, on 26 February, 1861 (See the United States Battalion Cavalry). Captain E K Smith arrived at Fort Mason, one mile southwest of Comanche Creek, on Post Oak Hill, Mason County, Texas, on 1 March, 1861, and was appointed major, 2nd United States Cavalry, on 3 March, 1861. Major E K Smith, 2nd United States Cavalry, resigned the same day and was appointed major, artillery, Confederate States Army, on 1 April, 1861. He was appointed lieutenant colonel, cavalry, Confederate States Army, on 20 April, 1861, dated 16 March, 1861, and was ordered to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.34, Paragraph I, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 24 April, 1861. Lieutenant Colonel E K Smith, cavalry, Confederate States Army, was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Jefferson County, Virginia, on the 22 May, 1861, and was accompanied by Brigadier General J E Johnston, Confederate States Army, and Major W H C Whiting, corps engineers, Confederate States Army (See Engineers Army of the Shenandoah). He was appointed brigadier general, Confederates States Army, at Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia, on 17 June, 1861, and was assigned to command the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, on 15 July, 1861.

Note: Major H L Clay, assistant adjutant general, Confederates States Army, was ordered to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, and assigned to mustering duty by Special Orders No.34, Paragraph II, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, on 24 April, 1861.

Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 September, 1861: Major General G W Smith, Confederate States Army, was assigned to the command of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.31, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 September, 1861.

The Thomas Artillery was assigned to the Third Brigade, Third Division, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia, under the command of Brigadier General C M Wilcox, Confederate states Army, by General Orders No.15, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 22 October, 1861.

Reports

Official REPORT No.82: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp481-482
Brigadier General T J Jackson, Confederate States Army, First Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah, dated in the Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 23 July, 1861