Second Brigade, Third Division
Colonel D A Woodbury, commanding the 4th Michigan Infantry
Fourth Michigan Infantry
Mustered in United States service for three years on 20 June, 1861, and arrived at Washington D. C. at 12 PM on 2 July, 1861. Not engaged in the first battle of Bull Run
COLONEL D A WOODBURY
LIEUTENANT COLONEL W W DUFFIELD
MAJOR J W CHILDS
- Company A Smith Guard: CAPT. C LUCE
- Company B Adrian Volunteers: CAPT. J H COLE
- Company C Peninsular Guard: CAPT. A R WOOD
- Company D Barry Guard: CAPT. J M RANDOLF
- Company E Hillsdale Volunteers: CAPT. G W LUMBARD
- Company F Hudson Volunteers: CAPT. S DE GOLYER
- Company G Tecumseh Volunteers: CAPT. D D MARSHALL
- Company H Grosvenor Union Guard: CAPT. M A FUNKE
- Company I Trenton Volunteers: CAPT. J D Slocum
Captain D A Granger was not mustered in United States service by Governor A Blair and resigned on 20 June, 1861. First Lieutenant J D Slocum was promoted to captain on 20 June, 1861.
- Company K Dexter Union Guard: CAPT. A D CRANE
"We lay at Fairfax Station until 4 pm next day, when by orders of Col. Heintzelman, we left 4 companies, under Major Childs, 4th Michigan, to guard the depot, & marched the command via old Braddock (Road) to Centreville. Just as we turned off on the old Braddock Road, an order came from Gen. McDowell (by Maj. Wood) to detach the rest of (the) 4th Michigan to Fairfax C H."
Forgotten valor: the memoirs, journals, & Civil War letters of Orlando B Willcox, by Orlando B Willcox
Record of service of Michigan volunteers in the civil war, 1861–1865, Volume 4, by George H Turner
Michigan in the war, compiled by J Robertson, Adjutant General
The Union army: a history of military affairs in the loyal states 1861–65, records of the regiments in the Union army, cyclopedia of battles, memoirs of commanders and soldiers, Volume 3, New Jersey, Indiana, Illinois and Michigan
The 4th Michigan Infantry was mustered in United States service for three years at Adrian, Michigan, on 20 June, 1861, and was ordered to proceed to Washington D. C. on 25 June, 1861. The regiment arrived at Washington D. C. via Elmira, New York; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; and Baltimore, Maryland, at 12 PM on 2 July, 1861, and encamped near the Chain Bridge, Georgetown Heights, D. C., on 3 July, 1861. The 4th Michigan Infantry was ordered across the Potomac River to Alexandria, Virginia, and encamped near Clouds Mills, Virginia, the same day.
Advance to Fairfax Courthouse and Station, Virginia, 16 July, 1861: The Second Brigade, Third, Division, Army of Northeastern Virginia, under the command of Colonel O B Willcox, was ordered to proceed along the Old Fairfax Road to Pohick Creek, near Fairfax Station, Virginia, at 10 AM on 16 July, 1861. Colonel O B Willcox proceeded to Elzy's, Virginia, at 5.30 AM on 17 July, 1861, and was ordered to Fairfax Station, Virginia, the same day. Four companies, under the command of Major J W Childs, were assigned to guard duty at the depot, Fairfax Station, Virginia, and the remaining companies were assigned to Fairfax Courthouse, Virginia, at 4 pM on 17 July, 1861.
Retreat to Washington D. C., 21 July, 1861: After the first battle of Bull Run the 4th Michigan Infantry was ordered to retreat to Alexandria, Virginia, on 22 July, 1861, and proceeded to Washington D. C., via the Long Bridge, Washington D. C. The regiment encamped near the Chain Bridge, above Georgetown D. C., on 23 July, 1861.
Mustered out: The 4th Michigan Infantry was mustered out at Detroit, Michigan, on 30 June, 1864, and 280 men and three officers were assigned to the 1st Michigan Infantry. The regiment was reorganised at Ann Arbor, Michigan, in August and September 1861, under the command of Colonel J W Hall (See the 1st Michigan Infantry). The 4th Michigan Infantry was mustered in United States service at Adrian, Michigan, on 14 October, 1864, and was mustered out at Houston, Texas, on 26 May, 1866.
O B Willcox organised the the 1st Michigan Infantry at Fort Wayne, Detroit, Michigan, and was appointed colonel in May 1861. Colonel B Willcox was promoted to brigadier general of volunteers on 21 July, 1861.
The Military District of the Potomac was established on 25 July, 1861 by consolidating the Military District of Washington and the Department of Northeastern Virginia and redesignated the Department of the Potomac on 15 August, 1861. The 4th Michigan Infantry was assigned to Brigadier General W T Sherman's brigade, Army of the Potomac, on 4 August, 1861.
Orders of Battle
The above painting, 'New York's Bravest', is by Don Troiani, modern America's finest historial artist.