The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Colonel R E Withers, 18th Virginia Infantry

Colonel R E Withers, 18th Virginia Infantry

Eighteenth (Third) Virginia Infantry

Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 26 May, 1861. Mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Stationed north of Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL R E WITHERS
Major R E Withers, Danville Battalion Volunteers, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 3 May, 1861, and was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL H A CARRINGTON
H A Carrington was appointed lieutenant colonel, 18th Virginia Infantry, on 25 May, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.142, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861.

MAJOR G C CABELL
G C Cabell was appointed major, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 25 May, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.141, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 30 May, 1861. Major C H Harrison, infantry, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry by Special Orders No.159, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 2 June, 1861, and to the 11th Virginia Infantry by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 11th Virginia Infantry).

Company A Danville Blues: CAPT. W P GRAVES
The company was accepted in state service at Danville, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 24 April, 1861.
Company B Danville Greys: CAPT. T D CLAIBORNE
The company was accepted in state service at Danville, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 24 April, 1861.
Company C Nottoway Rifle Guards CAPT. H T OWEN
The company was accepted in state service at Burkeville, Nottoway County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 24 April, 1861. Captain H T Owen, 18th Virginia Infantry, Company C, was arrested on 5 June, 1861, and was restored to command by order of a court martial on 1 July, 1861.
Company D Prospect Rifle Greys: CAPT. E G WALL
The company was accepted in state service at Prospect, Prince Edward County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 25 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day.
Company E Black Eagle Riflemen: CAPT. R HARRISON
The company was accepted in state service at Walton's Mill, on Big Willis River, four miles southwest of Cartersville, Cumberland County, Virginia, under the command of Captain C H Harrison, on 23 April, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by canal boat on the James River to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 27 May, 1861. Captain C H Harrison, Black Eagle Riflemen, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 28 May, 1861, and First Lieutenant R Harrison, 18th Virginia Infantry, Company E, was appointed captain, 18th Virginia Infantry, Company E, on 8 June, 1861 (See the 11th Virginia Infantry).
Company F Farmville Guards: CAPT. R A BOOKER
The company was accepted in state service at Farmville, Prince Edward County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at 2 PM on 25 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day.
Company G Nottoway Greys: CAPT. R CONNALLEY
The company was accepted in state service at Blacks and Whites (Blackstone), on the Southside Railroad, six miles southeast of Nottoway Courthouse, Nottoway County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day.
Company H Appomattox Greys: CAPT. T P MATTHEWS
The company was accepted in state service at Pamplins Station, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day. Captain T P Matthews, 18th Virginia Infantry, Company H, was wounded at the first battle of Manassas on 21 July, 1861.
Company I Spring Garden Blues: CAPT. J C LUCK
The company was accepted in state service at Spring Garden, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 26 April, 1861.
Company K Charlotte Rifles: CAPT. T J SPENCER
The company was accepted in state service at Charlotte Courthouse, Charlotte County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day. The company was stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 3 May, 1861, and at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861.

Troops stationed at Camp of Instruction, 27 April, 1861

Colonel W Gilham, Provisional Army of Virginia

Virginia Military Institute Corps Cadets (175): Acting Commandant & Major R E Colston
1st Virginia Battalion Volunteers (432): Major R E Withers, Danville Battalion of Volunteers; Henrico Rifles (100), 33rd Virginia Militia (Henrico County), Captain J W Atkinson; Hanover Greys (44), Captain B W Talley; Painesville Greys (87), Captain W M Miller; Henrico Southern Guards (67), Captain J F Childrey; Patrick Henry Rifles (57), Captain C W Dabney; Danville Greys (77), Danville Battalion Volunteers, Captain T D Claiborne
2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers (176): Black Eagle Riflemen (60), 17th Virginia Militia (Campbell County), Company A, Captain C H Harrison; Nottoway Greys (65), Captain R Connally; Nottoway Rifle Guards (51), Captain H T Owen
Cavalry: Chesterfield Light Dragoons (61), Company B, Captain W B Ball

Note: Colonel W Gilham, Virginia Military Institute, was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and the Prospect Rifle Greys (72), the Farmville Guards (96), the Spring Garden Blue (70), and the Charlotte Rifles (72) were stationed at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 27 April, 1861.

First Virginia Battalion Volunteers

Major R E Withers, Provisional Army of Virginia

Henrico Greys, 33rd Virginia Militia (Henrico County): Capt. J W Atkinson
The company was assigned to the 15th Virginia Infantry, Company A.
Hanover Greys: Capt. B W Talley
The company was assigned to the 15th Virginia Infantry, Company I.
Painesville Rifles: Capt. W M Miller
The company was assigned to the 14th Virginia Infantry, Company A.
Ashland Greys: Capt. H St G Tucker
The company was assigned to the 15th Virginia Infantry, Company E.
Henrico Southern Guards: Capt. J F Childrey
The company was assigned to the 15th Virginia Infantry, Company G.
Patrick Henry Rifles: Capt. C W Dabney
The company was assigned to the 15th Virginia Infantry, Company C.
Danville Greys, Danville Battalion Volunteers, Company B: Capt. T D Claiborne
The company was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry, Company B.

Second Virginia Battalion Volunteers

Major S Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia
Major S Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed colonel, 11th Virginia Infantry, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 May, 1861 (See the 11th Virginia Infantry).

Lynchburg Home Guards: CAPT. K OTEY
The company was assigned to the 11th Virginia Infantry, Company G (See the 11th Virginia Infantry).
Lynchburg Rifle Greys: CAPT. M S Langhorne
The company was assigned to the 11th Virginia Infantry, Company A (See the 11th Virginia Infantry).
Farmville Guards: Capt. R A Booker
The company was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry, Company F.
Black Eagle Riflemen: Capt. C H Harrison
The company was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry, Company E.
Spring Garden Blues: Capt. J C Luck
The company was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry, Company I.
Prospect Rifle Guards or Greys: Capt. E G Wall
The company was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry, Company D.
Charlotte Rifles: Capt. T J Spencer
The company was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry, Company K.
Nottoway Rifle Guards: Capt. H T Owen
The company was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry, Company C.
Nottoway Greys: Capt. R Connally
The company was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry, Company G.

The Lynchburg Home Guards, the Lynchburg Rifle Greys, and the Lynchburg Artillery arrived at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 23 April, 1861 (See the Lynchburg Artillery).

Sources

"Four or five Companies of Volunteers arrived from Danville yesterday - among them the Grays, 77 men, Thos. S. Claiborne, Captain, (of the 5th Battalion, 11th Brigade,) and Blues, Wm. P. Graves, Captain, 66 men; the whole under command of Major R. E. Withers. They were mustered into service at the State Court-House shortly after their arrival."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 24 April, 1861

"The following volunteer companies arrived in Richmond yesterday, about 2 o'clock, via the Danville Railroad: Wise Fencibles, Montgomery county, Capt. R. C. Trigg, 83 men; Company A, Pittsylvania county, 101st Regiment, Capt. Wm. H. Werth, 84 men; Pulaski Guard, Capt. Jas. A. Walker, 83 men; Prospect Grays, Prince Edward county, 63 men, Capt. E. G. Wall, and Farmville Guards, Capt. R. A. Booker, 96 men."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 26 April, 1861 - Arrival of military

"The following volunteer companies are also quartered in Richmond: Farmville Guards, 96 men, Capt. R. A. Booker. They also are from Farmville. They are armed with Minnie muskets. Spring Garden Volunteers, Pittsylvania, Captain James C. Luck, 70 men. Armed with percussion muskets. The Charlotte Rifles, 72 men, commanded by Capt. Thos. J Spencer. They are armed with Harper's Ferry Minnie rifles, with sabre bayonets attached."

Richmond Enquirer, Semi-weekly Edition (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 27 April, 1861 - Virginia Volunteers

"The following companies, all from the South-Side, now encamped at the Central Fair Grounds, have been formed into a Battalion and placed in charge of Major Samuel Garland, Jr., of the Lynchburg Home Guard, viz: Home Guard, Farmville Guards, Rifle greys, Company A, Nottoway Rifles, Nottoway Greys, Spring garden Blues, Prospect Blues, and Charlotte Rifles. Their commander is fast succeeding in making the Battalion into a most effective engine of war."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 7 May, 1861- Getting in Trim

"The Black Eagle company received orders to march on the 23d April, and set out in a few hours. Most of the company assembled in Cartersville at 3 P.M., where many of our friends had assembled."

"The company was then marched over to the canal, accompanied by a large number of ladies and gentlemen. While waiting for the boat at Pemberton, Mr. F. D. Irving delivered an appropriate and stirring address."

"We were inspected and received into service on the 24th, and quartered at the Hermitage Fair Grounds, where we remained until 27th May."

"The organisation of our Regiment (the 2d) is now nearly complete. Capt. Harrison, of the Black Eagle Rifles, has received the appointment of major, and an excellent officer he will prove."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 5 June, 1861 - From Camp Pickens [Special correspondence of the dispatch]: Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, 1 June, 1861

"The regiment of Col. Withers (18th Virginia Volunteers) holds Camp Gregg. The regiment of Col. Cocke holds Camp Bonham."

Charleston Mercury (Charleston, Charleston District, South Carolina), 3 July, 1861 - Centreville, near Manassas, 28 June, 1861

"It seems it has been many days since we left our homes to be formed into a Regiment at the Hermitage Fair Grounds, near Richmond."

"The march from Centreville to this point was an easy one of only six miles."

Richmond Daily Dispatch (Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia), 13 July, 1861 - Fairfax Courthouse, 9 July, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

The war of Confederate Captain Henry T. Owen: Henry T. Owen, 1831-1921, captain, Company C, 18th Virginia, Confederate States of America, by Kimberly Ayn Owen, Graham C Owen, and Michael M Owen

Autobiography of an octogenarian, by Robert Enoch Withers, M.D., Colonel 18th Regiment Virginia Infantry, C.S.A.; editor Lynchburg Daily News; Lieutenant Governor of Virginia; Senator of the United States; Member of Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institute; Consul of the United States at Hong Kong; Past Grand Master of the Knights Templar of the United States, etc., etc.

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: 18th Virginia Infantry, by I Roberston

The young lions: Confederate cadets at war, by James Lee Conrad

Historical sketches of the Nottoway Greys afterwards Company G, Eighteenth Virginia Regiment, Army of Northern Virginia, prepared at the request of the surviving members of the company at their first reunion at Bellefont Church, 21 July, 1877, by Richard Irby

Samuel T. Saunder: The Confederate Veteran, Volume XXVII, Nashville, Tenn., January-December, 1919, p227

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition by I A Wallace, Jr.

Notes

The 18th Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, and G, was arrived at Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861; Companies E and K on 24 April, 1861; Company I between 24 and 25 April, 1861; Companies D and F on 25 April, 1861; and Company H on 7 May, 1861.

Mustered for one year, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 23, 24, 25, & 26 April & 7 May, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry, Company G, was mustered in state service for one year at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, by Colonel & Adjutant General J B Baldwin, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 23 April, 1861; Companies A, B, C, E, and K for one year on 24 April, 1861; Companies D and F on 25 April, 1861; Company I on 26 April, 1861; and Company H for one year on 7 May, 1861.

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry, Companies A and B, were mustered in state service at the Custom House, on Main Street, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 24 April, 1861.

Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 23 April 1861: Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, was set up east of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad, under the command of Colonel W Gilham, Virginia Military Institute, on 23 April, 1861, and the Virginia Military Institute Corps Cadets were assigned as drillmasters on 24 April, 1861 (See the 1st Rockbridge Artillery). Brigadier General J H Winder, Confederate States Army, was assigned to command Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 July, 1861, and Colonel C Dimmock, ordnance, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 18 July, 1861.

Danville, Pittsylvania County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies A & B, 23 April, 1861: The Danville Battalion Volunteers, Companies A and B, under the command of Major R E Withers, arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 23 April, 1861.

Note: The Danville Battalion Volunteers, Companies A and B, arrived at Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 23 April, 1861.

Organisation of Danville Battalion Volunteers, 23 April, 1861: Major R E Withers, Adjutant E C Edmonds; Company A, Danville Blues (95), Captain W P Graves, First Lieutenant J M Smith, Second Lieutenant E D Withers; Company B (92), Danville Greys, Captain Claiborne, First Lieutenant E N Sorey, Second Lieutenant D Turner

Note: Major R E Withers, Danville Battalion Volunteers, was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 3 May, 1861, and Adjutant E C Edmonds, Danville Battalion Volunteers, was appointed lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Camp of Instruction or Hill, on the south bank of the Dan River, one mile west of Danville, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, on 25 May, 1861 (See the 38th Virginia Infantry).

Blacks & Whites (Blackstone), on the Southside Railroad, six miles southeast of Nottoway Courthouse, & Burkeville, Nottoway County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies C & G, 23 April, 1861: The Nottaway Rifle Guards and the Nottaway Greys were ordered to proceed by the Richmond & Danville Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 23 April, 1861, and were accompanied by the Alstadt Greys, under the command of Captain E H Flournoy.

Note: The Alstadt Greys was mustered in state service as the 6th Virginia Infantry, Company K, at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 May, 1861.

Walton's Mill, on Big Willis River, four miles southwest of Cartersville, Cumberland County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company E, 23-24 April, 1861: The Black Eagle Riflemen was ordered to rendezvous at Cartersville, Cumberland County, Virginia, at 3 PM on 23 April, 1861, and to proceed by canal boat on the James River to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the afternoon the same day. The company arrived at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861.

Charlotte Courthouse, Charlotte County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company K, 24 April, 1861: The Charlotte Rifles was ordered to proceed by the Richmond & Danville Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 24 April, 1861, and arrived the same day.

Note: The Charlotte Rifles was stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 3 May, 1861.

Spring Garden, Pittsylvania County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company I, 24-26 April, 1861: The Spring Garden Blues arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, between 24 and 26 April, 1861.

Note: The Spring Garden Blues was stationed at Camp Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 29 April, 1861.

Farmville & Prospect, Prince Edward County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies D & F, 25 April, 1861: The Prospect Rifle Greys and the Farmville Guards arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, at 2 PM on 25 April, 1861, and were accompanied by the Wise Fencibles, under the command of Captain R C Trigg; the 101st Virginia Militia (Pittsylvania County), Company A, under the command of Captain W H Werth; and the Pulaski Guards, under the command of Captain J A Walker (See the 4th Virginia Infantry).

Pamplins Station, Appomattox County, to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Company H, 7 May, 1861: The Appomattox Greys was ordered to proceed by the Southside Railroad to Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861, and arrived by the Richmond & Danville Railroad via Burkeville Junction, Nottoway County, Virginia, the same day.

Troops stationed at Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, Companies C, D, E, F, G, H, I, & K, 7 May, 1861: Major S Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia; Nottaway Rifle Guards, Captain H T Owen; Nottaway Greys, Captain R Connally; Prospect Rifle Greys, Captain E G Wall; Black Eagle Riflemen, Captain C H Harrison; Farmville Guards, Captain R A Booker; Spring Garden Blues, Captain J C Luck; Charlotte Rifles, Captain T J Spencer

Note: The 2nd Virginia Battalion Volunteers, under the command of Major S Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, was stationed at Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad and Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 7 May, 1861.

Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Company F, 21-22 May, 1861: The Farmville Guards was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, under the command of Major S Garland, Jr., Provisional Army of Virginia, by Special Orders No.32, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 May, dated 9 May, 1861, and was accompanied by the Lynchburg Home Guards, the Lynchburg Rifle Greys, the Southern Guards. The company arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 12 May, 1861 (See the 11th Virginia Infantry).

Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Company I, 21-22 May, 1861: The Spring Garden Blues was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 21 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 22 May, 1861.

Camp of Instruction or Lee, Hermitage Agricultural Fairgrounds, between the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railroad & Deep Run Turnpike, two miles northwest of the Capitol, Capitol Hill, Richmond, Henrico County, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies A, B, C, D, E, G, H, & K, 27-28 May, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D, E, G, H, and K, were ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.119, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, in the evening on 27 May, 1861, dated 26 May, 1861, and arrived by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 10 AM on 28 May, 1861.

Note: Major C H Harrison, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to the 18th Virginia Infantry at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.159, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 2 June, 1861, and to the 11th Virginia Infantry by General Orders No.19, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 June, 1861 (See the 11th Virginia Infantry).

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 22 June, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 51, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, at 9 AM on 22 June, 1861, dated 20 June, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Gregg, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 22 June and 1 July, 1861.

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry and the 19th Virginia Infantry arrived at Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 22 June, 1861 (See the 19th Virginia Infantry).

Troops stationed at or in the vicinity of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 23 June, 1861: Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry; 18th Virginia Infantry; 19th Virginia Infantry; 28th Virginia Infantry; 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company B

Note: The Lynchburg Artillery was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.64, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 June, 1861, dated 24 June, 1861.

Organisation of Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, 24 June, 1861: Colonel P ST G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry; 18th Virginia Infantry, Colonel R E Withers; 19th Virginia Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel J B Strange; 28th Virginia Infantry, Colonel R T Preston; 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies A and B, Captain W R Terry, 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company A; 1st Louisiana Special Battalion Infantry, Major R C Wheat; Lynchburg Artillery, Captain H G Latham

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph V, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Gregg, Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861.

Centreville to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special orders No.71, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 1 July, 1861, dated 29 June, 1861, and was stationed at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 1 and 11 July, 1861.

Note: The 8th South Carolina Infantry was stationed at Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 28 June, 1861, and was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special orders No.71, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 29 June, 1861 (See the 8th South Carolina Infantry).

Germantown to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 11 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 11 July, 1861, and was temporarily assigned to the First Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General M L Bonham, Confederate States Army, between 11 and 17 July, 1861.

Note: The 8th South Carolina Infantry was ordered to Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 11 July, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Lucas, Germantown, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 11 and 17 July, 1861.

Withdrawal to Ball's Ford, 17 July, 1861

The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to withdraw to Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and was accompanied by 3rd South Carolina Infantry. The regiment arrived at the heights east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 17 July, 1861 (See the 3rd South Carolina Infantry).

Heights east of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, to Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 17 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was stationed northeast of Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the evening on 17 July, 1861.

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry was stationed northeast of Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, between 18 and 21 July, 1861.

Organisation of Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, 21 July, 1861: Colonel P ST G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry; 8th Virginia Infantry, Colonel E Hunton; 18th Virginia Infantry, Colonel R E Withers; 19th Virginia Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel J B Strange; 28th Virginia Infantry, Colonel R T Preston; 49th Virginia Infantry, Companies B, E, and H, Colonel W Smith; Schaeffer's Battalion Infantry, Acting Major & Captain F B Schaeffer; 30th Virginia Cavalry, Companies B and D, Captain G W B Hale, 30th Virginia Cavalry, Company D; Madison Cavalry/ Invincibles, Captain W Thomas; Loudoun Cavalry, Captain W W Mead; section of Lynchburg Artillery, Captain H G Latham; Loudoun Artillery, Captain A L Rogers

First battle of Manassas, 21 July, 1861

The 18th Virginia Infantry was stationed northeast of Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered east of the old Warrington, Alexandria & Washington Road and west of Ball's Ford, Bull Run River, at 2 PM on 21 July, 1861.

Advance to Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Henry Hill, one mile west of the Stone Bridge, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861.

General pursuit towards Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered across the Bull Run River, east of the Stone Bridge, on a general pursuit towards Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the afternoon on 21 July, 1861 (See the 2nd South Carolina Infantry).

Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one mile south of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 21 July, 1861, and arrived at Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one mile south of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 12 PM on 22 July, 1861.

Return of casualties in the 18th Virginia Infantry, Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, at the battle of first Manassas, 21 July, 1861: Killed 6, wounded 13, total 19

Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one mile south of McLean's Ford, to Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 22 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 22 July, 1861.

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered at or about the Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special orders No.146, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, dated 22 July, 1861.

Ball's Ford, on the Bull Run River, to the vicinity of the Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 23 July, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to the Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 23 July, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Suspension Bridge, in the vicinity of the Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 23 July and 11 August, 1861.

Organisation of Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, 25 July, 1861: Colonel P ST G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry; 18th Virginia Infantry, Colonel R E Withers; 19th Virginia Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel J B Strange; 28th Virginia Infantry, Colonel R T Preston; 49th Virginia Infantry; Colonel W Smith; Lynchburg Artillery, Captain H G Latham

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Fifth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 July, 1861.

Camp Suspension Bridge, in the vicinity of the Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 11 August, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 11 August, 1861.

Centreville to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, 27/29 August, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 27/29 August, 1861, and was stationed at Camp Harrison, in the vicinity of Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 27/29 August and 17 October, 1861.

Note: The 18th Virginia Infantry was stationed at W D Nutt's Hill or Brandymore Castle, one mile east of Falls Church, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 6 and 11 September, 1861; at Mason's Hill, west of the Columbia Turnpike, two and a half miles southwest of Arlington Mills, Alexandria County, Virginia, between 18 and 22 September, 1861; and at the bridge on Accotink Creek, on the Little River Turnpike, one and a quarter west of Annandale, Fairfax County, Virginia, between 1 and 6 October, 1861.

Fairfax Courthouse to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 17 October, 1861: The 18th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, in the morning on 17 October, 1861.

Reorganised at Orange Courthouse, Orange County, Virginia, 29 March & 23 & 26 April, 1862: The 18th Virginia Infantry was reorganised at Orange Courthouse, Orange County, Virginia, on 29 March, 23 and 26 April, 1862.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 18th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Major General M P Sheperd, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac: Captain P St G Cocke, Powhatan Troop, was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, and assigned to command the military operations of the State of Virginia bounding the Potomac River on 21 April, 1861 (See Headquarters, Army of the Potomac). Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to proceed by the Virginia Central Railroad to Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, the same day and was stationed at the Mansion House Hotel, on Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Alexandria County, Virginia, on 22 April, 1861. He was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 7 AM on 28 April, 1861, and was accompanied by the Washington Volunteers, Companies A and B (See the Garrison at Alexandria). Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, arrived at Culpeper Courthouse, Culpeper County, Virginia, at 10 AM the same day and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.49, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861. Colonel P St G Cocke, 19th Virginia Infantry, was assigned to command the Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, by General Orders No.20, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861, and was ordered to assume command at Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, and organise the garrison and several camps by Special Orders No.328, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Fairfax Courthouse, Fairfax County, Virginia, on 15 September, 1861. He was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 21 October, 1861, and committed suicide at Belmead, on the James River, nine miles northwest of Powhatan Courthouse, Powhatan, Powhatan County, Virginia, on 26 December, 1861.

Note: Colonel P St G Cocke, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command the troops from the counties of Rappahannock, Culpeper, Madison, Green, Orange, Albemarle, Nelson, Amherst, Campbell, Bedford, Roanoke, Botetourt, and Craig by Special Orders No.39, Paragraph III, Headquarters of the Division, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861.

The 18th Virginia Infantry was was assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Second Division, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia, under the command of Brigadier General P St G Cocke, Confederate States Army, by General Orders No.18, Adjutant & Inspector General's Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 November, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.103: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp546-548
Colonel R E Withers, Eighteenth Virginia Infantry

OFFICIAL REPORT: Series I, Volume 51, Part I (Serial No.107), pp24-32
Colonel P St. G Cocke, Confederate States Army, Fifth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, dated Camp Suspension Bridge, in the vicinity of the Suspension Bridge, on Cub Run, one mile west of Centreville, Fairfax County, Virginia, 1 August, 1861