The Fourth Alabama Painting by Don Troiani

Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac

Private R H Hylton, 24th Virginia Infantry, Company A, postwar

Private R H Hylton, 24th Virginia Infantry, Company A, postwar

Twenty-fourth Virginia Infantry

Arrived at Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 1 and 8 June, 1861, and mustered in Confederate service for one year dated 1 July, 1861. Six companies were stationed at the rear of McLean's Farm, on the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, and Manassas Junction, and four companies at Camp Pryor, at the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and Spring's and Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 21 July, 1861

COLONEL J A EARLY
J A Early was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, on 20 June, 1861.

LIEUTENANT COLONEL P HAIRSTON, JR.
P Hairston, Jr., was appointed major, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861, and was assigned to duty at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.45, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 16 May, 1861. Major P Hairston, Jr., was appointed lieutenant colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the 24th Virginia Infantry at Camp Pryor, at the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and the Spring's and Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

MAJOR J P HAMMET
Captain J P Hammet, 24th Virginia Infantry, Company K, was appointed major, 24th Virginia Infantry, at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and his resignation and a leave of absence for fifteen days was granted by Special Orders No.250, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 18 August, 1861, dated 6 September, 1861.

Company A Floyd Riflemen: CAPT. C M STIGLEMAN
The company was accepted in state service at Floyd Courthouse, Floyd County, Virginia, on 14 May, 1861, and was ordered to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, the same day. The company arrived by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad at Lynchburg via Christiansburg Station, one mile northeast of Christiansburg, Montgomery County, Virginia, on 16 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, the same day. The company was stationed at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861.
Company B Franklin Rifles: CAPT. J A HAMBRICK
The company was accepted in state service at Gogginsville, Franklin County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, 23 May, 1861.
Company C Carroll Boys: CAPT. W R JENNINGS
The company was accepted in state service at Carroll County, Virginia, on 28 April, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, 24 May, 1861.
Company D (1st) Giles Volunteers or Mountain Boomers: CAPT. J H FRENCH
The company was organised at Pearisburg, Giles County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and was accepted in state service at Giles Courthouse, Giles County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861. The company was ordered to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 23 May, 1861, and arrived at Dublin, Pulaski County, Virginia, in the evening the same day. The company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, at 11 PM on 23 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, in the morning on 24 May, 1861. The company was was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, between 24 and 31 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 31 May, 1861. The company arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Charlottesville, Albemarle County, and Gordonsville, Orange County, Virginia, in the evening on 1 June, 1861, and was assigned to the 7th Virginia Infantry, Company C, at Camp Wigfall, J J Wilcoxen's Farm, east of the intersection of Union Mills and Hooe's Hill Roads, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No. 42, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861 (See the 7th Virginia Infantry).
Company D (2nd) Early Guards: CAPT. T S TAYLOR
The company was accepted in state service at Franklin County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, 11 June, 1861.
Company E Bentley's Company: CAPT. W W BENTLEY
The company was accepted in state service at Dublin, Pulaski County, Virginia, on 1 May, 1861, and was ordered to proceed by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, 27 May, 1861.
Company F New River White Rifles: CAPT. W EGGLESTON
The company was accepted in state service at New River Church, one mile east of the New River, Giles County, Virginia, on 13 May, 1861, and arrived at Christiansburg, Mountgomery County, Virginia, on 28 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 29 May, 1861, and arrived the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 30 May, 1861.
Company G Richardson's Company: CAPT. R A RICHARDSON
The company was accepted in state service at Mercer County, Virginia, on 4 May, 1861, and was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, 2 June, 1861.
Company H Henry Guards: CAPT. P R REAMY
The company was accepted in state service at Martinsville, Henry County, Virginia, in May 1861 and was ordered to proceed by the Richmond & Danville Railroad to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 3 June, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 5 June, 1861, and Captain P R Reamy, 24th Virginia Infantry, Company H, resigned on 13 August, 1861, dated 18 August, 1861. First Lieutenant H H Dyer, 24th Virginia Infantry, Company H, was appointed captain, 24th Virginia Infantry, Company H, on 24 August, 1861.
Company I Lybrook's Company: CAPT. A M LYBROOK
The company was accepted in state service at Patrick Courthouse, Patrick County, Virginia, on 25 April, 1861, and arrived at Christiansburg, Mountgomery County, Virginia, on 29 May, 1861. The company was ordered to proceed by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 30 May, 1861, and arrived the same day. The company was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 31 May, 1861.
Company K New River Greys: CAPT. J T RADFORD
The company was accepted in state service at Christiansburg, Montgomery County, Virginia, under the command of Captain J P Hammet, on 14 May 1861, and was stationed at the Central Railroad Station, Christiansburg, Mountgomery County, Virginia, on 18 May, 1861. The company was mustered in state service for one year, under the command of Captain J T Radford, at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 30 May, 1861.

Sources

"Last evening our town had the pleasure of showing the hospitality of its good people to Capt. Eggleston's company from New River, White Sulphur, Giles county, 83 strong, and as good material as one would wish to look at for soldiers. They go to Lynchburg to-day Capt. Lybrock's company from the State of Patrick, 88 strong, passes through our town."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 1 June, 1861 - Christiansburg, Montgomery County, Virginia, 29 May, 1861

"One company from this county, commanded by Capt. C. M. Stigleman, of 87 men, is now at Manassas Junction, and another company, commanded by Capt. Henry Lane, numbering 100 rank and file, leaves for the wars on Wednesday next."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 11 June, 1861 - Floyd Courthouse, Floyd County, Virginia, 7 June, 1861

"On the 15th of the present month, our Regiment, then under the command of Lieut. Col. Hairston, received orders to march to Occoquan: we arrived there on the evening of the same day, and early on the morning of the 16th we were ordered to march back to our encampment, which is about thirteen miles distant from the village."

The Richmond Daily Dispatch, 28 June, 1861 - Camp Pryor, 25 June, 1861

Books/ Manuscripts

The Virginia Regimental Histories Series: Twenty-fourth Virginia Infantry, Second Edition, by LR W Gunn

Supplement to the Official Records: Part II, Record of Events, Volume 71, Serial No.83: Record of events for the Twenty-fourth Virginia Infantry, May 1861-October 1864, edited by James B Hewett

"Under previous instructions four companies of the 24th Virginia Regiment had been left under Major Hambrick to guard the camp of the regiment and picket on the right of our line, and the two companies of cavalry under Captain Scott had also been left to watch our right."

"No artillery was attached to my brigade on this day."

Lieutenant General Jubal Anderson Early C.S.A.: Autobiographical sketch and narrative of the War Between the States, with notes by Jubal Anderson Early

A guide to Virginia military organisations 1861-1865, Revised Second Edition, by I A Wallace, Jr.

Notes

The 24th Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), and E, arrived at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, between 16 and 24 May, 1861, and Companies F, G, H, I, and K between 29 May and 5 June, 1861.

Note: Captain P R Reamy, Henry Guards, and Captain S J Mullins, Horse Pasture Volunteers, were stationed at Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1861.

Mustered in one year, Camp Davis,a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, 16, 23,24,27,30, & 31 May & 2, 5, & 11 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry, Company A, was mustered in state service for one year at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, by Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, on 16 May, 1861; Company B for one year on 23 May, 1861; Company C for one year on 24 May, 1861; Company E for one year on 27 May, 1861; Companies F and K for one year on 30 May, 1861; Company I for one year on 31 May, 1861; Company G for one year on 2 June, 1861; Company H for one year on 5 June, 1861; and Company D (2nd) for one year on 11 June, 1861.

Note: The 24th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, Jr., was organised at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 3 June, 1861.

Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, Colonel J A Early, 6 & 17 May, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel J A Early, Provisional Army of Virginia, was stationed at Rocky Mount, Franklin County, Virginia, on 5 May, 1861, and was ordered to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 6 May, 1861. He was assigned to command Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 17 May, 1861.

Note: Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861.

A quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), & E, 31 May-1 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), and E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, Jr., were ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 31 May, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Charlottesville, Albemarle County, and Gordonsville, Orange County, in the morning on 1 June, 1861.

Manassas Junction, to east of the road to Davis' Ford, on the northeast bank of Cedar Run, three & a half miles southeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), & E, 4 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry, Companies A, B, C, D (1st), and E, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, Jr., were ordered to Davis' Ford, on the northeast bank of Cedar Run, three and a half miles southeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.4, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 4 June, 1861.

Note: A detachment of the Wise Dragoons (10) were assigned to Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, Jr., 24th Virginia Infantry, as pickets and couriers on 4 June, 1861 (See Lays Squadron Cavalry).

A quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, to Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Companies F, G, H, I, & K, 7-8 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry, Companies F, G, H, I, and K, under the command of Major J P Hammett, were ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Prince Willaim County, Virginia, on 7 June, 1861, and arrived at Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, via Charlottesville, Albemarle County, and Gordonsville, Orange County, on 8 June, 1861.

General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, 8 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Confederate States by General Orders No.25, Headquarters, Virginia Forces, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, on 8 June, 1861, and was accepted in Confederate service on 1 July, 1861.

East of the road to Davis' Ford, on the northeast bank of Cedar Run, three & a half miles southeast of Manassas Junction, & Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, 10 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry was ordered on a reconnaissance to Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, on 10 June, 1861, and arrived east of the road to Davis' Ford, on the northeast bank of Cedar Run, three and a half miles southeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 11 June, 1861.

Note: The Early Guards was assigned to the 24th Virginia Infantry, Company D (2nd), east of the road to Davis' Ford, on the northeast bank of Cedar Run, three and a half miles southeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 11 and 13 June, 1861.

East of the road to Davis' Ford, on the northeast bank of Cedar Run, three & a half miles southeast of Manassas Junction, & Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, 15-16 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, Jr., was ordered to Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, on 15 June, 1861, and arrived in the evening the same day. The regiment was ordered to Davis' Ford, on the northeast bank of Cedar Run, three and a half miles southeast of Manassas Junction, in the morning on 16 June, 1861, and arrived east of the road to Davis' Ford, on the southeast bank of Cedar Run, three and a half miles northeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, the same day.

Special Orders No.40, Paragraphs I, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 7 companies, 16 June, 1861: Seven companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, Jr., were ordered to the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and the Spring's and Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.40, Paragraph I, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 16 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.40, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 2 companies, 16 June, 1861: Two companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry were assigned east of the road to Davis' Ford, on the northeast bank of Cedar Run, three and a half miles southeast of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.40, Paragraph II, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 16 June, 1861.

Special Orders No.40, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 1 company, 16 June, 1861: One company of the 24th Virginia Infantry was ordered to the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and Woodyard's Ford Road, a quarter of a mile north of the Bull Run River, Prince William County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.40, Paragraph III, Headquarters, Department of Alexandria, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 16 June, 1861.

Bradley's, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Virginia, Company A, 18 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry, Company A, was assigned to picket duty at Bradley's, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 18 June and 18 July, 1861.

Note: The 24th Virginia Infantry was stationed at Camp Pryor, at the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and the Spring's and Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861.

Intersection of Davis' Ford Road & the Spring's & Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, Colonel J A Early, 19 June, 1861: Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, arrived at Camp Pryor, at the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and the Spring's and Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861.

Note: The 24th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel J A Early, by General Orders No.20, Paragraph VI, Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 20 June, 1861.

Reconnaissence to Occoquan & Freestone Point, Prince William County, Virginia, 21-22 June, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry was ordered on a reconnaissence on the Potomac River to Occoquan and Freestone Point, Prince William County, Virginia, between 21 and 22 June, 1861.

Note: The 24th Virginia Infantry was stationed at Camp Pryor, at the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and the Spring's and Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 25 June, 1861, and the 7th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel L B Williams, and one 12 pounder field howitzer and one 6 pounder 3 inch rifle of the Washington Battalion Artillery, under the command of First Lieutenant C W Squires, were ordered on a reconnaissence to Occoquan, Prince William County, Virginia, under the command of Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, on 12 and 14 July, 1861.

Intersection of Davis' Ford Road & Spring's & Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, 17 July, 1861: Six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel P hairston, Jr., were ordered to Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, under the command of Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, in the morning on 17 July, 1861, and were accompanied by the 7th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel L B Williams, and the 7th Louisiana Infantry.

Note: Four companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Major J P Hammet, were assigned to picket duty at Camp Pryor, at the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and Spring's and Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, between 17 and 21 July, 1861, and one 12 pounder field howitzer and one 6 pounder 3 inch rifle of the Washington Battalion Artillery, under the command of First Lieutenants C W Squires and J B Richardson, were assigned to the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, at Union Mills Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 17 July, 1861 (See the Washington Battalion Artillery).

Union Mills Ford to Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one & a half miles southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 18 July, 1861: Six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry arrived at Camp Walker, on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad, one and a half miles southwest of McLean's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 18 July, 1861.

Note: Six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry were stationed at the rear of McLean's Farm, on the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, and Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 18 July, 1861.

Skirmish at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 18 July, 1861: Six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry were ordered to the west of the road between W McLeans' Farm, three quarters of a mile southwest of McLean's Ford, and Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, at 12 PM on 18 July, 1861, and to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the afternoon on the same day. The six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry were accompanied by one 6 pounder 3 inch rifle and four 6 pounder smoothbores of the Washington Battalion Artillery, under the command of Second Lieutenant J J Garnett, and arrived at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, on 18 July, 1861.

Note: Six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry were stationed at Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the evening on 18 July, 1861.

Blackburn's Ford to the rear of McLean's Farm, on the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, & Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, 20 July, 1861: Six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry were ordered to the rear of McLean's Farm, on the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, and Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the morning on 20 July, 1861.

Rear of McLean's Farm, on the road between Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, & Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, 21 July, 1861: Six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, Jr., were ordered to Blackburn's Ford, on the Bull Run River, in the morning on 21 July, 1861.

Note: Six companies of the 24th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel P Hairston, were temporarily assigned to the Fourth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General J Longstreet, and the 13th Mississippi Infantry to the Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, in the morning on 21 July, 1861 (See the 13th Mississippi Infantry).

After the first battle of Manassas the 24th Virginia Infantry arrived at Camp Pryor, at the intersection of Davis' Ford Road and Spring's and Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, in the evening on 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 24th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Sixth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, on 25 July, 1861.

Organisation of Sixth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, 25 July, 1861: 24th Virginia Infantry, 5th North Carolina States Troops, 11th North Carolina Infantry, 13th North Carolina Infantry

Intersection of Davis' Ford Road & Spring's & Bland's Fords Roads, three miles south of Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, to Wolf Run Shoals Ford, on the Occoquon River, 23 August, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry was ordered to proceed to Wolf Run Shoals Ford, on the Occoquon River, by Special Orders No.257, Paragraph II, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 23 August, 1861, dated 21 August, 1861, and arrived at Camp Ellis, in the vicinity of Wolf Run Shoals Ford, on the Occoquon River, the same day.

Lieutenant Colonel W Munford, 17th Virginia Infantry, 28 August, 1861: Lieutenant Colonel W Munford, 17th Virginia Infantry, was temporarily assigned to the 24th Virginia Infantry by Special Orders No. 278, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 28 August, 1861 (See the 17th Virginia Infantry).

Wolf Run Shoals Ford, on the Occoquan River, to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, 29 August, 1861: The 24th Virginia Infantry was ordered to Fairfax Station, Fairfax County, Virginia, by Special Orders No.280, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, Camp Pickens, Manassas Junction, Prince William County, Virginia, on 29 August, 1861.

Reorganised in the vicinity of Long Bridge, Charles County, Virginia, 10 May, 1862: The 24th Virginia Infantry was reorganised in the vicinity of Long Bridge, Charles County, Virginia, on 10 May, 1862.

Surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, 9 April, 1865: The 24th Virginia Infantry, under the command of Major General G E Pickett, surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Appomattox County, Virginia, on 9 April, 1865.

Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac: J A Early was appointed colonel, Provisional Army of Virginia, at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 2 May, 1861, and was stationed at Rocky Mountain, Franklin County, Virginia, on 5 May, 1861. Colonel J A Early, Provisional Army of Virginia, was ordered to Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 6 May, 1861, and was assigned to command the troops stationed at Camp Davis, a quarter of a mile southwest of College Hill, Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, on 16 May, 1861. He organised the 24th Virginia Infantry, the 28th Virginia Infantry, and the 30th Virginia Cavalry on 17 May, 1861, and was appointed brigadier general, Confederate States Army, on 28 August, 1861, dated 21 July, 1861.

Note: The 24th Virginia Infantry, the 5th North Carolina State Troops, the 13th North Carolina Infantry, and the Prince William Cavalry were assigned to the Sixth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, on 25 July, 1861, and the Fluvanna Artillery No.1, under the command of Captain W H Holman, on 3 September, 1861.

Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, 42nd Virginia Infantry, 1 July, 1861: Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, was ordered to proceed by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, Virginia, on 19 June, 1861, and Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, was assigned to command Camp Davis, the Fairgrounds, on Fifth Street, two miles west of Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, the same day. Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, was appointed lieutenant colonel, 42nd Virginia Infantry, on 1 July, 1861.

Note: Lieutenant Colonel D A Langhorne, Provisional Army of Virginia, was stationed at Lynchburg, Campbell County, Virginia, between 1 May and 30 June, 1861.

The 24th Virginia Infantry was assigned to the Sixth Brigade, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Colonel J A Early, 24th Virginia Infantry, by Special Orders No.169, Paragraph I, Headquarters, First Corps, Army of the Potomac, on 25 July, 1861.

Reports

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.77: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp463-465
Colonel J Early, Twenty-fourth Virginia Infantry, of action at Blackburn’s Ford, dated 31 July, 1861

OFFICIAL REPORT NO.109: Series I, Volume 2 (Serial No.2), Chapter IX, pp555-558
Colonel J Early, Sixth Brigade, Army of the Potomac, dated 1 August, 1861